Favorite Lathe books to read?

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
This summer I ordered three books due to decent reviews for my mini-lathe, and they were a joy to read. Even the paper was good quality and I liked the feel.

Now that I've been doing hands-on practice and figuring things out-- not just relying on theory-- I plan to re-read the same books again one more time later on this year. That said, I will probably check out Amazon to see if there are any other good ones I missed, or on the horizon. If anyone has a must-read other than the three I already have, feel free to mention.

books.jpg

South Bend's "How to run a lathe" is good for basic information.

Yep, South Bend's "How to Run a Lathe" this is the one I cut my teeth on years ago and still recommend it to people wanting to learn. Not much on carbide tooling, but a lot of people just starting out have older lathes and are using HSS tooling so this is a great resource for that.

An oldie, but a goodie!

I'm sure with a little searching it can easily be found on-line.

Ted

Atlas Press Company published on similar to South Bends that I believe went into a little more detail. I have a good text that I refer to a lot, Can't locate it now but believe the title is Machine Shop Operation & Setup. Found it on Ebay.
Ray

Last edited:
Yes, the attached pdf text references 1916 and older vintage iron.
Arguably the great great grandfathers of yours and many here at HM.
Regardless the principles are the same.
Additionally, this one is a free and legal download I found somewhere sometime.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• lathedesignconst00perrrich.pdf
    33.7 MB · Views: 33
This is my favourite overall book. Excellent for many machines, shows sequence of operations for many items, which leads you to thinking about how your are going to do something. Abebooks.com sometimes has paper copies for good prices, used of course.
https://archive.org/details/textbookofadvanc00smituoft

Back