Feasibility question

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to make 150 spacers from 1/2 od 3/8 id aluminum tube that are 5 1/2 long. My first thought is 5C collet in the lathe and part off. Any wisdom or better ideas? the length needs to be fairly accurate and square. Any suggestions welcome.

I need to make 150 spacers from 1/2 od 3/8 id aluminum tube that are 5 1/2 long. My first thought is 5C collet in the lathe and part off. Any wisdom or better ideas? the length needs to be fairly accurate and square. Any suggestions welcome.
Joe Pieczynski had a cool way to make your Aloris or clone tool post an accurate parting tool.
I'll see if I can find it.
Yes to the 5c

Last edited:
Thanks for that video! Thinking that is the way to go. Wonder how parting the relatively thin aluminum tube will work.

It will work beautifully, and fast. I use a narrow grooving tool with inserts, uses up less material of course.

Looks like I have a plan thanks to you guys help. The Joe Pie video was a big help. Thank You!!

Looks like I have a plan thanks to you guys help. The Joe Pie video was a big help. Thank You!!
Another thing to know is that one feature of 5C collets is that a back stop can be screwed into the rear of the collet to precisely control the position of the workpiece. Using the depth stop it is possible to rough cut all of the pieces using a saw, face them all and then face them again to length.

Back