Feature or bug?

My old friend and first real Boss had a favourite expression he would drag out out now and again. He's been dead for many years now, but he still makes me smile....

"Frankie, what you want for ten cents, silk worms?"

-frank

Even swiss made products can be crap.
A very good friend who is swiss wont buy anything unless its made in Germany or Switzerland.
Her very expensive coffee maker (Jura, $2000+) broke down, at least it was before the warranty gave out.
It appears it was made in Portugal when you looked inside at the parts.
Price of the final product is no longer an indication of quality.
Its all a crap shoot today, you pays yer money and takes a chance.

I am a beginner. ...
Hi, OP here. All has worked out well. Kudos to Shars.

Oh Thursday I got the weird vise. Posted my question to Hobby-Machinist on Thursday afternoon. By Thursday evening I had confirmation that it was, indeed, a buggy part. I emailed Shars about it (with photo). Friday morning I got a sincere apology email. On Friday afternoon I got an email that a preinspected replacement had been shipped. Which arrived Sunday and this one does not have the bug. Shars wants to talk with the manufacturer about this and asked for me to send the old one back, and provided a prepaid to do so.

I think Shars customer service was exemplary. Yes, maybe they could have inspected the part before shipping, but at $54 for the vise I totally understand that they do trust the manufacturer. I think their response could not have been better.

Thank you to this list for confirming I had a lemon. This all took place over a total of 72 hours—modern civilization is impressive.

-Bill

Thanks great to hear Bill, and a really good thing to know about Shars. After hearing of your experience it only makes me more likely to order a Shars product.

Here's a nice video review of the 1" Shars precision machinist vice. It certainly appears to be good in all other respects.

I've been a longtime customer of Shars. Used to pick up in person when I lived near Chicago. They do honestly want to get good product out there. I've had a hiccup or two over the years, but 95% of their stuff has been great. When it wasn't, they fix it.

I have a few things that I bought from Shars, never had any trouble with any of it, including a 2" toolmaker's vise, item number 202-1120.

Thing is, it doesn't cost that much more to make it right, and of reasonable quality. Seem to fight over 1cent, for whatever purpose they seem to think is the way to do business. Foolish in my eyes.

Good on you James for getting back to Shars and cudos to them for making it right.
Although it is disappointing when it happens to us, there is nothing new about defective products getting through QC every so often.
When I worked in a manufacturing environment we were very conscientious about QC but some defects slipped through anyways. One customer even sent its own inspector to check what we were doing because they wanted 'zero defects'..
These days with the WWW we all can know instantly when a bad product or service is delivered. Not so In the old days and even if it was not known to the masses there were lots of faulty products being refunded or replaced. Nothing new under the sun.

I ordered a machinist vise 4" from ebay and received a note that Quality control found a problem and 20 days till new product or refund.
Good catch on your part!!

Back