Feedback on first lathe - 8x14 600W variable speed lathe CJ210A

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello, newbie here looking for guidance. If this is not the right section to place this question, admin please move to the correct section.

I want to get started in learning how to use a metal lathe but first I have to buy one. Reading several threads those folks that have gone with a mini (7x12) find that an 8x12" (or 14") would have been a better option... So I decided to start looking at those sizes... this thread pretty much convinced me of this:

I am trying to get into learning with the least amount of $$ possible...

I do not have an initial project in mind. But I have seen a few videos on improving an HF 20-ton press that would be perfect for a few things to make. So as a first set of projects, I would like to make all the mods to my press, shown in this video:

I do have motorcycles that I am always working on, as well as projects with my cars. At this point I just want to have a lathe to start messing around with it, but I want something that will be low cost of entry while still holding me for awhile.

I was pretty much set on the Harbor Freight 8x12 until I saw this one on eBay - 8x14 600W Variable speed Metal Lathe :

8x14 Metal Lathe-eBay.jpg

But I can't seem to find any reviews on it... I did find this video but it is not the same unit...

So my questions are:

1. Am I thinking straight here that a 8x12/14" lathe would be a good starting point for a newbie?
2. Is that eBay lathe a better option than the HF lathe? The eBay one goes for around US$680.00... the HF would be around US$600.00 (20% discount coupon and tax)

Thank you in advanced for all your comments.

Last edited:
I just want to avoid spending 1,600.00 for a G078Z or even 2930.00 for a G0752Z (wich is the one I really like).

Easy for me to speak of what I want when I am completely clueless...

Anyway, hope you guys understand what I am trying to say. Want to start with something to know if this is something will use often and can learn the skills before I dive into a larger and more expensive machine...

I am also just starting out. Just got my first lathe a few months ago, but have yet to make any chips with it. Kinda turned into more of a machine rescue project than an "learn how to machine" project. Still working on getting it running and everything else, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

What I would suggest, and (was my initial plan) is get the cheapest 7x14 lathe you can find, and just play with it for a while. I suspect that nearly twice the money on an 8x14 isn't worthwhile. Depending on what you actually want to do with it, but I think 8x14 is still going to be on the fairly small end of things. Play with the cheap mini lathe, and 1)keep your eye out for a used southbend at a good price or 2)save up for a precision matthews in the size you like(My goal is a 1030V unless I win the lottery).

I am also just starting out. Just got my first lathe a few months ago, but have yet to make any chips with it. Kinda turned into more of a machine rescue project than an "learn how to machine" project. Still working on getting it running and everything else, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

What I would suggest, and (was my initial plan) is get the cheapest 7x14 lathe you can find, and just play with it for a while. I suspect that nearly twice the money on an 8x14 isn't worthwhile. Depending on what you actually want to do with it, but I think 8x14 is still going to be on the fairly small end of things. Play with the cheap mini lathe, and 1)keep your eye out for a used southbend at a good price or 2)save up for a precision matthews in the size you like(My goal is a 1030V unless I win the lottery).

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, that PM1030V is sweet! What lathe did you get? Could not find post from you sharing the details.

I watched this video and was just smiling at how easy it is to start with something in your mind and rapidly ending with a much larger and expensive tool... he ended up with the PM-1228VF-LB at double the initial budget he had set :D... but I digress...

What got me thinking on the 8x14 over the 7x12( or 14") was this photo from the thread I share the link in my first post:

fignoggle_hf8x12_massive-jpg.143970

I just do not want something just to play with... I want it to at least be able to use it for something... and reading on how quickly that 7x12 shrinks when you add the chuck and what not, well... for just a few more bucks, I could have a starter lathe that will do a bit more... Also was concerned with the plastic gears on the smaller lathe...

This video was a good one that shared some of the benefits of the 8 vs the 7

I was really ready to get the Harbor Freight as it seems to have a lot of support and add-ons that I could get from https://littlemachineshop.com

But that one on eBay threw me a curve... I just could not find any info on it.

Not sure I get the double the price of the 8 over the 7. If I did the math correctly, the difference is around 150.00.

Again, thank you for the feedback.

Something to look at is what comes with a machine. Sure that one on Ebay is cheap but it also comes with practically no tooling, just a chuck, a tool post and a dead center for the tail stock.

The Grizzly 8x16 is almost twice the price but it comes with 2 chucks (3 and 4 jaw), a faceplate, steady and follow rests, and two centers (one for the headstock, one for the tail stock so you can turn between centers). That probably doesn't add up to the full amount of the difference, but does account for a good chunk of it. You are also getting a known vendor to go back to if you have issues vs an ebay seller who may or may not respond to issues.

Most of these lathes of the same size are very closely related regardless of the brand, many being made on the same production line with only minor variations based on the specific vendors requests.

Another thought, definitely consider used for these. I don't generally suggest people completely new to machining look at used, but unlike larger lathes, mini lathes rarely suffer from wear. They may have been abused or neglected but are very unlikely to be worn out. Most just never see the use that could do that to them. Abuse and neglect are easier to spot than wear even if you don't really know what to look for yet.

Many small lathes are purchased when somebody thinks machining is something that they want to do, but then they find out, yeah no so much and the lathe sits for a few years until somebody is cleaning out the garage and it gets put on Craigslist.

On a used lathe look at the tooling that comes with it. I've seen many of these mini-lathes asking close to the price of new which at first looks like a very optimistic price until you see that it is being sold with some nice tooling that could easily approach the value of the lathe itself.

If you get a mini-lathe for $500-800 you can easily expect to spend another $400-500 in short order to get the tooling you need to do, well just about anything.

Search @DavidR8 for the answer to your questions, he has been through exactly what you are contemplating now.

Myself, I bought one of those Chinese 3 in 1 machines and couldn’t do anything worthwhile with it. I was lucky to find a Seneca Falls Star lathe for $300 that has served me well for 15 years now. I was also lucky to sell the 3 in 1 for only a few hundred less than I paid.

This hobby will cost money no matter how you get into it. If I wanted a mini lathe I think I would keep looking for a used one cheap rather than pay full price anywhere. Tooling and making it work correctly will cost enough that buying new will come close to serviceable old iron cost.

It’s kinda like learning to play the guitar, you don’t need a $5000 vintage Gibson to learn on but that $50 pawn shop axe might just convince you to try another hobby. Don’t be that guy who starts out all gung-ho and ends up selling his gear for a loss after a year of frustration. You’ve come to the right place to ask questions and figure out what will work best for what you want to do. Time and patience will be your friends here, really do your homework before spending anything (unless a really sweet deal falls into your lap).

People on here do great work with all different types of machines, mostly they have to spend a lot of time learning before they get good results though. You will do great work too if you’re willing to put the shop time in....

Cheers and welcome to the forum,

john

Thanks @matthewsx @wachuko I'll chime in here.

I started searching for a used full size lathe. Members here will attest to many questions I asked in my search. I was getting a bit dejected as I live in a machinery desert as @francist so aptly put it. I decided to buy a new 7x14 mini lathe. It was relatively cheap and there was a lot of reasons for that. I had to fix some defects to make it usable. I put a Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) on it but I realized that it was not going to satisfy my needs (or wants).

So I started looking at used machines. This was never an industrial or manufacturing center so there's no base of old tradespeople with garages full of machines.
So I put out an ad looking for a lathe. In my search I very nearly bought a used 10" x 48" South Bend10K that needed help for $1100 from a machinery dealer.

The ad turned up no less than four decent lathes drop into my lap. I made alerts on used.com and craigslist and finally hit paydirt when a mint 1973 South Bend 10K showed up one day. Problem was that it was a good 4-6 hours away so I called immediately and talked to the owner. He sent me detailed pictures of everything I asked for. I committed to it without seeing it in the flesh only because I felt comfortable after doing so much research. It was $100 more than the other 10K that I was very close to buying.

It turned out to be as good as the pictures. I've since added a 4-jaw chuck, a QCTP and a live center. These are kind of the table stakes (IMHO) for a lathe of any dimension. Plus you'll need some measuring tools. I'm no expert but I'm climbing the hill :)

The mini-lathe hooked me on machining. I regret the purchase somewhat because the cash could have been spent on more tooling for the lathe I have now. I'll sell it and recoup a fair bit of my money so all is not lost.

My point in all of this is that if you are going to invest it makes sense to spend your time researching, looking at used machines and talking to the amazing crew here.

Last edited:
Great advice. Thank you all!!

@DavidR8 - just went through your thread: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/diamond-in-the-rough.81221/

I come empty on ebay and craigslist searches around my area for anything at a budget price... everything I find is over US$2,500.00 and look huge.

Here is one but for 3K:

I am going to have to look out of state...

And to be honest, not sure what I should be looking for... I see them listed as precision lathes, engine, chucking, etc. And that just confuses the heck out of me....

I was trying to stay under 6-700 for my first lathe to learn on. Later, if I really get hooked, then I can look for something better.

Also, was not aware of other sites where used equipment could be found. Will organize my thoughts and continue the search.

Thank you all again for your help and guidance!!

Something to look at is what comes with a machine. Sure that one on Ebay is cheap but it also comes with practically no tooling, just a chuck, a tool post and a dead center for the tail stock.

The Grizzly 8x16 is almost twice the price but it comes with 2 chucks (3 and 4 jaw), a faceplate, steady and follow rests, and two centers (one for the headstock, one for the tail stock so you can turn between centers). That probably doesn't add up to the full amount of the difference, but does account for a good chunk of it. You are also getting a known vendor to go back to if you have issues vs an ebay seller who may or may not respond to issues.

Most of these lathes of the same size are very closely related regardless of the brand, many being made on the same production line with only minor variations based on the specific vendors requests.

I have that one, G0768Z 8" x 16" Variable-Speed Lathe with DRO, and the G0752Z 10" x 22" VS Benchtop Lathe with 2-Axis DRO on my wish list...

Maybe that G0768Z is the way to go as my first lathe...even if it blows my initial budget out the window...

Back