Fiber Laser question

CoDef911

Registered
Registered
I figured I'd post this here, although it may be the wrong place to get traction/visibility to the right people.
I'm an FFL/SOT dealer. I also do 1000 other things, but that's my passion, and throughout 2020, it paid the bills.
I have a lathe, 2 mills, half a dozen welders, band saw, surface grinder, etc. I've got just about everything a machinist needs, except knowledge!!
Rookies probably know more than I, especially about setting things up correctly. But that's not the point of this thread...
I own a CNC Shark 2, which has taught me about vectors, and shaping wood. I've tried a few times to run a simple G code pattern on metal, but without a rotary axis tool, I can't figure it out. Plus, it's not really the "right" tool to do what I want.
I'm looking at purchasing a Fiber Laser. I need something that is designed to etch, mark, or engrave metal, specifically suppressors (hence the SOT license).
Has anyone here got that kind of experience, or can assist in guiding me to the correct one?
Boss laser is where I started, because they're here in Florida, and all USA made.
But after hours of digging, there's some Chinese models at half the price. I don't mind paying for USA gear, but is there really a $10k difference between models?
Tech support told me that the FM series is sold as an engraver, but can run the same pattern multiple times to get a deeper cut. If we manufacture a firearm, or silencer, those must have specific markings as to the manufacturer. I originally thought I could do it on the mill, but I can barely cut a straight line. I've done a fair enough job on barrel threading to pass muster, but trying to put somebody's name, state, model, caliber, etc on a cylinder is a job for a CNC machine.
The fiber lasers seem to be the correct tool for the job, and for some extra $$, they have a rotary tool with chuck to engrave anything round, or oddly shaped.
Does anyone have experience with a fiber laser? And can you help me with some things to look for as I'm researching different designs/models?
I appreciate any assistance or guidance from those who either own one, or work on/with them.
Thank you!!
Dave

I can maybe help you with questions. I’ve bought several fiber laser markers 20-50W
as well as UV lasers and integrated a few into custom applications.

One thing to understand is there are dozens and dozens of “laser system” companies out there.
At the low end of the price spectrum you get essentially Chinese laser sources and galvos packaged into their own version of an enclosure.
As a hobbyist assuming price conscious it’s going to be tough finding a reputable company with a presence, parts and service vs drive by Amazon dealers.
If you are looking for an open type system and willing to assume the safety risks of a (class 4) setup that will be the cheapest route. If you want class 1 enclosure that adds cost.
Working solo in a garage shop you could get away with open system just need to wear laser goggles and keep people out when using.

Systems with Higher quality laser sources like IPG, Keyence etc will likely be over $30k. The 50W systems I buy are more like $65k

Check out Mecco Lightwriter or
TYKMA Lasergear Boqx /Cube. They are “economical” offerings but will still be somewhere in the 10-20k zip code. There are other brands these are just two I know of that have entry level systems. Could try LMT laser systems also. They are on YouTube and may also have starter systems.

Your least cost route will be to buy a “pile of parts” from them as an open system and mount the head and integrate yourself into a diy enclosure or stand.

Software to create the marking files is a whole nother topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought i'd stick my nose in where it's not needed.
Marking requirements have been around since before lasers or cnc either one.
$30,000 means you'd have to mark a LOT of products. A lot. I'm thinking there's not that much traffic - or more accurately, approvals - in the mix for that to be justified in a business model.
Stamping, vibra-pen, acid etch. Anything permanent meets the req's, dudnit?

Cost is certainly going to be a limiting factor if we’re talking industrial class equipment on hobbyist budget.

I will throw in a plan B. Photo Chemical resist paints, and followed by chemical etching. Very inexpensive to start.
If you want to go old-school, a Gorton Pantomill is great for small production runs, I ran one for years (google it). You only need to make a template and trace it with the tracing tip of the pantograph. I also did photo chemical resists as well. Mostly for legend panels for instruments, and circuit boards (KPR4 made by Kodak). The Gorton does give you the easy opportunity to do serialized work.

On the cheap end, a New Hermes Diamond stylus pantograph can do basic line-art logos, and serial numbers too.

It is far less expensive than a laser, but gives solid results with either approach.

For the record, I am a laser-head too. But my bigger lasers are a bit scary, I set them up in a closet, and use a camera to remotely monitor the beam. The laser is powered down before I open the door. One of them is a fiber-coupled 40W 808nm laser which was built up from scratch. I have a lower powered UV laser too. You might also be surprised at what 7 watts of UV laser can do with basic G2 (close focus) optics can do.

Even as a hobbyist I'd never use a higher-power laser unless it's in an enclosure with interlocks. It's just too easy to screw up and there goes your eyesight. I have a 200mw green laser for a project I'm (slowly) working on, and that's powerful enough to be put in an enclosure. Even if I do have a pair of protective goggles.

Some of my paranoia may be due to the fact that I have a moderate case of AMD in one eye. Don't want to risk the other!

Yea UV is typically much lower power. I think ours is 3W 355nm
Use it for material that doesn’t mark well with 1062nm fiber.

There’s a fad where people laser ablate to skelletinize firearms (pistol slides etc) with all kinds of patterns. Honeycombs, slots and whatnot. To me it’s ruining a perfectly good gun but to each their own. Might even use CO2’s

I’ve finish machined a few 80% lowers and plan to add serial numbers via laser marking. Might do a cool design but nothing yet.
Anodized aluminum is super easy to mark and it looks great due to the contrast.

I can maybe help you with questions. I’ve bought several fiber laser markers 20-50W
as well as UV lasers and integrated a few into custom applications.

One thing to understand is there are dozens and dozens of “laser system” companies out there.
At the low end of the price spectrum you get essentially Chinese laser sources and galvos packaged into their own version of an enclosure.
As a hobbyist assuming price conscious it’s going to be tough finding a reputable company with a presence, parts and service vs drive by Amazon dealers.
If you are looking for an open type system and willing to assume the safety risks of a (class 4) setup that will be the cheapest route. If you want class 1 enclosure that adds cost.
Working solo in a garage shop you could get away with open system just need to wear laser goggles and keep people out when using.

Systems with Higher quality laser sources like IPG, Keyence etc will likely be over $30k. The 50W systems I buy are more like $65k

Check out Mecco Lightwriter or
TYKMA Lasergear Boqx /Cube. They are “economical” offerings but will still be somewhere in the 10-20k zip code. There are other brands these are just two I know of that have entry level systems. Could try LMT laser systems also. They are on YouTube and may also have starter systems.

Your least cost route will be to buy a “pile of parts” from them as an open system and mount the head and integrate yourself into a diy enclosure or stand.

Software to create the marking files is a whole nother topic.

That is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for, thank you!
My intention is to engrave FFL/SOT items for customers. Form 1 items that customers have manufactured, but require professional looking results (instead of me scratching something that looks like a 4 year old with an engraving tool).
I finally got the permit for our building, after over a year of fighting with the city.
So what we have inside can finally get a designated space in the workshop.
Cost is a minor issue, the boss laser 50W machine is $20k.
I would prefer to spend less if possible, but I would also like to have a professional build the machine, so I'm not learning how to do it while fighting an inferior setup.
I despise YouTube, based on their anti-American stance, so I use it sparingly. However, I've come to realize that there is more information there than in forums that I read daily. I spent 20 minutes watching a guy explaining the difference between standard and MOPA, and still came away confused.
If I understand the tech rep, a 30W can do everything a 50W can do, except it takes 2x as long because you have to run the pattern 2 or 3 times to reach depth.
While running programs to burn an image into a plastic magazine would be easy, reaching a .003 depth in stainless steel would take multiple passes.
I'm wondering if just sucking it up and paying the upfront $7k difference between the 30 and 50W machines is worth it, or not.
I have the attention span of a mosquito, so spending 3 hours watching videos is difficult.
I'd like a machine that has a software program that is relatively easy to learn, but powerful enough to make money (I realize I'm asking for oceanfront property in Kansas), that will produce professional results.
Covid-19 changed the customer. I mean, hugely changed them. It's made our main business (sales & service of HVAC) suffer, because half want a corporation to handle it, and the other half want Craigslist prices.
My fear is buying a machine that's outdated when it arrives, and spending 50% more for lower quality when a premium machine is just a couple bucks more.
I appreciate your insight, and so far your feedback is highly beneficial.
Thank you

Back