Fiber Laser question

Just an aside, if you are going to laser engrave titanium, an enclosure to control the atmosphere and prevent embrittlement. A lot of nfa markings are done with dot peen or rotary engraved.

I have seen good results with both 30w and 50w setups. One of our local SOTs uses a 30w setup and does all the digital art and marking layout in Corel Draw with fantastic looking results.

My personal choice is to go with American made and supported. That being said, the US vs. Chinese decision is a personal one but look at how long it's taking stuff to get into the country right now. If you are waiting on a critical repair part getting it from Xhing Wu might take a little longer than from Jacksonville....

Joat

You might want to have a look at Thunder laser USA and their Aurora Fibre Galvo
https://support.thunderlaserusa.com.../65000175136-thunder-laser-aurora-fiber-galvo
Although made in China, the support systems and people on the ground in the USA are nothing short of 1st class. To back that all you have to do is have a look at what their customers say about them on FB and a weekly webinar.

Although I am a world away in NZ, I have a Thunder Laser CO2 machine and couldn't be happier about the quality and performance.

Just an aside, if you are going to laser engrave titanium, an enclosure to control the atmosphere and prevent embrittlement. A lot of nfa markings are done with dot peen or rotary engraved.

I have seen good results with both 30w and 50w setups. One of our local SOTs uses a 30w setup and does all the digital art and marking layout in Corel Draw with fantastic looking results.

My personal choice is to go with American made and supported. That being said, the US vs. Chinese decision is a personal one but look at how long it's taking stuff to get into the country right now. If you are waiting on a critical repair part getting it from Xhing Wu might take a little longer than from Jacksonville....

Joat
I have been engraving titanium silencer tubes for years and NEVER have I experienced any embrittlement. I have spoken with many other engravers and they mirror that and none of us use an atmosphere when engraving. Welding is another story.

The VAST majority of NFA markings are done with fiber lasers now. Dot peening does not meet the ATF engraving requirements so the only option besides fiber is rotary and there ain't many of those left.

MOST Chinese lasers take 2 weeks tops to be delivered onto your doorstep and generally the biggest holdup is the buyer dilly dallying with supplying the required docs to customs.

I bought a replacement part for my fiber from China and it took 3 days to get here. Ordered it on Friday morning and was here after lunch on Monday. In fact that was faster than an Amazon purchase I did at the same time and THAT shipped from PA.

My two cents...
Rebarreling and custom builds (as well as a few other reasons) had me getting my engravings done at a contact I made while going through Gunsmith School some years ago. He was 50+ miles away. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a suitable laser engraver closer. While I suspect there may have been, they were not advertising and were well hidden. Given the price I was being charged, my hourly rate while making the trip (also read that as time out of the shop off the bench and being on someone else's timeline), and fuel / mileage, I determined it was costing me approximately $200 for a single item. At the time, frequency for the engraving was just long enough where I was often making a run for one or two pieces at a time instead of in bulk. Let me establish that I am a one man show in the shop, although my wife is co-owner and does the books on the weekends. I'll also say that I do not desire to be a laser engraving business. While I understand that could produce income on its own, my passion is gunsmithing and where I want to focus my time. So, this situation was obviously a money drainer. We thought long and hard about a better solution. The result was that we would purchase an 30W Fiber Laser Engraver....NOT as a money maker, but as a money saver. Yes, this was a stretch of what we all know about never buy anything that is not going to make you money. But Ben Franklin understood that a penny saved was a penny earned, and so did I. So in that mindset, I did my homework; went to engraving shows, read the internet, talked to a couple businesses. The end result was that I ended up with a OMTech. Initially, I had issues with the software that was provided. But when I changed to a better software, life got a whole lot better (OMTech paid for the new software). The engraver provides impressive results. They are a Chinese built engraver, at a cost of under $4k. Say what you will, but the cost had to be something that would pay itself off over x time. All things considered, what made me take the step was that OMTech has support in the USA, is quite popular and has a significant following via forums. There are enough variables to package any engraver to your specific needs. I opted for a chuck rotary and have not looked back. Best of all, the shop remains in the black....recession / depression resistant, and I no longer have to drive to Pittsburgh unless I want to.

Attachments

• IMG_6918.jpg
    IMG_6918.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6925.jpg
    IMG_6925.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6926.jpg
    IMG_6926.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 18
I was that person. The software does require some study but is not difficult. There are enough YouTube vids and web sites that make it intuitive and relatively easy to pick up. All of a sudden, you’re intrigued and you want to learn more.

How hard is the software to learn for someone with no CAD experience?

It depends on if you can still read the screen, or if you have already damaged your vision.

Before starting with CAD experience on lasers, take some time to read 29 CFR 1910.133, because the laser pictured above does not meet that standard or the ANSI z136.x series that OSHA requires, nor does it meet the IEC or ISO equivalents. I don't think the chinese manufacturer cares about your compliance requirements as a business (if you are self-employed, you must follow all regs that state the employer shall...).

Just sayin', you know. You do you. But there's a reason USA lasers are very very expensive, and china lasers are really really cheap- has to do with cutting costs, like safety certifications or underwriting. As in buyer figures it out for himself whether he needs to run interlocks to protect his eyes like ANSI says (and OSHA says you shall). There are a lot of ways to get hurt with a laser that hot, don't take it lightly. Treat it like gamma radiation instead.

Pontiac428, you do bring up a good point that lasers should not be taken lightly - and you bring up a different dynamic to the discussion of lasers (as well as other machinery) through regulations. I do not desire taking this down a rabbit hole and I am not a fan of the soap box, but as a former Quality guy I feel compelled to make some clarifications.

Your second paragraph may or may not be true, business to business. Splitting hairs as it may be, this tidbit of info is very important and is applicable to many gunsmiths and other small businesses. As defined by OSHA itself, OSHA standard do not apply to self-employed workers, immediate family members of farm employers, and workers who's hazards are covered by another federal agency. Stated another way... It needs to be understood that a business with only an owner/operator and no employees is primarily exempt from OSHA. OSHA is directed to the Business owner/employee dynamic. Could be a slip of the fingers, but in your comment (if you are self-employed, you must follow all regs that state the employer shall...) you may be addressing both self-employed and an employer, can be two very different things. Self-employed does not directly insinuate you have employees. Being and employer does. Goodness, self-employed (no employees) business would never get off the ground if they had to keep up with regulations of bigger businesses.

I will also mention that ANSI & ISO are not law, but generally voluntary standards (although ANSI can become mandatory by "Incorporation by reference"). This is complex, so caution may be necessary when presenting an argument. Many big manufacturing company's benefit from advertising these accomplished labels like trophies... they are ISO and ANSI compliant as a way to show superior manufacturing performance efficiencies and practices over their competitors. I don't take anything away from that - safety should always be priority. I am not a "manufacturer" as many small gunsmith shops aren't. And while I want to make a very safe environment for myself in the shop, practicality and productivity (and to a proportionate degree, price) of implementing those standards must be considered.

With regard to the OMTech laser, they do provide correct filtering eye/face PPE which I definitely use. At 55, my eye capability is reducing and I wish to preserve as much as possible. There was an option to purchase a transparent acrylic filtered cover with interlock shut off as eye protection for passers-by, but I opted not to buy. 29 CFR 1910.133 requires the business (not the machine) to be compliant. The laser is in the corner with blackout curtains in the odd case I am engraving/marking during open hours. Since I am the only one behind the curtain and in the workshop consistently, it was an adequate solution for me. This laser also comes with other standard safety features as stated here...."Separately grounded for your safety, the scanner, laser source, and rotary axis have separate power buttons. The access key precludes any unauthorized use of your laser, and the circuit breaker is ready in case of emergencies. Certified compliant with ISO standards 11553 & 12100 and IEC standards 60204 & 60825." So, if I had to be concerned, 29 CFR 1910.133, ANSI Z136.9 (Safe use of lasers in Manufacturing Environments) ISO and IEC standards are covered.
With all that said, the bottom line is that usually there is a solution that fits most budgets. Here's a more current photo. Wow, that is more than I wanted to ever write or think in a week.

IMG_8340.jpg

I can more readily justify spending 3-5K for my marking requirements vs the 30k I was quoted for a made in the usa one. I would probably not live long enough to recoup the 30K.

This is fascinating. I have a safety question. I have worked with high powered fiber lasers in the medical field. The only precaution there was everyone in the room wore special glasses. Would that also be sufficient for industrial lasers or do they require additional protection? I don't think the power is substantially different (they range from 20-120 watts.) Don't ask about the price.
On a lighter note, it kind of funny when an operator breaks the fiber and shoots himself in the hand. They let off the pedal real fast!

Back