Filament spooling problems

AlfromNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've had a Creality Ender 3 Neo v2 for a few weeks. Done a bunch of prints without issue using Amazon branded PLA.
Twice now I've had the filament tangle and ruin a print when the extruder couldn't feed it. After the first time I bought a spool holder that mounts to the side of the printer and has a roller bearing holder, but still had a jam.
I can't babysit a 6 hour print. Is this a common thing? Any tips or fixes? I guess I'll buy a new spool of filament for starters.

I don't know if this is your problem, but it is one potential issue......

Just like a MIG welder you need to ensure that the filament on the spool is NEVER just "let go".
If the free end is allowed to pass under a previous wrap on the spool even once it will eventually mean a feed problem.
The goofy thing is that it can be unnoticeable for a long time until the wraps eventually pinch and bind.

I have had to rewind a nearly full spool filament onto an empty spare spool just because the free end slipped away from me.

Most spools have extra holes to secure the free end of the filament during storage. Some type work better than others.
I keep my filament in big zip-lock bags with desiccant and the end of the filament can puncture those bags.
I currently use a short piece of masking tape to hold the free end to the edge of the spool.

I wonder how careful they are at the filament factory......

Brian

No, it's not a common thing. Get a good filament. Sunlu has the most accurately wrapped filament that I have seen - it's "perfect". Polymaker is pretty good - I haven't had an issue with it, even though it's not as tidy as Sunlu. Both are available on Amazon.

I've printed a ball-bearing, side-mount spool holder for my E3V2 Neo, but I really think it's down to the quality of the filament winding.

I have had no issues with Creality, Comgrow (probably Creality), Polymaker, Sunlu, or Bambu Labs. I've printed probably 5x as much Sunlu as anything else because it's so problem free.

I do suggest:
I had problems with the end supports in the "Spool Mate" and just drilled the whole thing out and used a 3/8" rod. YMMV.

spool.jpg

GsT

Thanks guys. I ordered a different brand of filament, but not Sunlu. I see their ads all the time but for some reason I had it in my mind they were an inferior brand. Not sure how I formed that opinion. Live and learn

Back