Final follow up on my little side business

Wheat.Millington

Registered
Registered
This is a follow up to my last follow up.

Back in Feb/Mar/Apr this year I was asking around here about getting materials etc - here in New Zealand it's really damn hard to buy small quantites of materials (aluminium, steel, brass, etc). The only place to get this stuff is by buying full lengths (6 metres) from the big suppliers, who generally don't want to deal with small customers. We don't have the benefit of McMaster, Metal Supermarkets, etc.

I decided that my little side hustle would be to buy some lengths and start selling it online. Well long story short, it turns out there's a massive demand for this, both from hobbyists and small shops. Way more than I expected. I went from opening a website in March to selling $6k a month after my third month. And I could have easily doubled, tripled these sales, all I'd need to do is extend my range and marketing.

This all sounds amazing, and it was a ride, but it was never supposed to be any more than a side gig. In the end it consumed every spare moment. I even had the opportunity to cheaply rent a little industrial unit which both helped and hurt. Fact of the matter is, it was a dumb time in my life to try to do something like this, and the "side hstle" nature of it ended up being 20+ additional working hours per week, on top of an already-demanding job. With 2 kids under 5, I just couldn't keep up, and the stress and anxiety was too much for me.

So, hard as it was, I decided the business wasn't for me and I sold it to some chaps who were way better set up than me. They already had an excavator rental business with some office staff to take on the admin overhead and a huge workshop.

So it was a pretty wild ride. And now that it's no longer my business I feel OK about sharing the link, so if anyone in New Zealand is in the market, check these guys out. They're still getting their feet under them, so be patient if they don't have everything you want in stock just yet:

(If you're wondering why everything is so expensive:
1. It's in NZ dollars, which is a weaker currency than NZD
2. Everything is expensive when you're at the ass-end of every supply chain at the bottom of the world)

But you tried and are better for it... which is more than a lot of folks do. Dreams/goals are meant to be chased...

Never stop.... and learn from every step.

Last edited:
This is a follow up to my last follow up.

Back in Feb/Mar/Apr this year I was asking around here about getting materials etc - here in New Zealand it's really damn hard to buy small quantites of materials (aluminium, steel, brass, etc). The only place to get this stuff is by buying full lengths (6 metres) from the big suppliers, who generally don't want to deal with small customers. We don't have the benefit of McMaster, Metal Supermarkets, etc.

I decided that my little side hustle would be to buy some lengths and start selling it online. Well long story short, it turns out there's a massive demand for this, both from hobbyists and small shops. Way more than I expected. I went from opening a website in March to selling $6k a month after my third month. And I could have easily doubled, tripled these sales, all I'd need to do is extend my range and marketing.

This all sounds amazing, and it was a ride, but it was never supposed to be any more than a side gig. In the end it consumed every spare moment. I even had the opportunity to cheaply rent a little industrial unit which both helped and hurt. Fact of the matter is, it was a dumb time in my life to try to do something like this, and the "side hstle" nature of it ended up being 20+ additional working hours per week, on top of an already-demanding job. With 2 kids under 5, I just couldn't keep up, and the stress and anxiety was too much for me.

So, hard as it was, I decided the business wasn't for me and I sold it to some chaps who were way better set up than me. They already had an excavator rental business with some office staff to take on the admin overhead and a huge workshop.

So it was a pretty wild ride. And now that it's no longer my business I feel OK about sharing the link, so if anyone in New Zealand is in the market, check these guys out. They're still getting their feet under them, so be patient if they don't have everything you want in stock just yet:

(If you're wondering why everything is so expensive:
1. It's in NZ dollars, which is a weaker currency than NZD
2. Everything is expensive when you're at the ass-end of every supply chain at the bottom of the world)
Amazing story!

I've done this same thing on a small scale for different hobby supplies thru the years. You either need to really limit yourself so that it does not become too time consuming, or you need to be in a business that already does product distribution.

I'm glad that you found someone to take over and keep access to supplies. That's why I do such things... when I need a supply of specific hard to obtain items and buying in bulk is the only option.

It's why I designed a small etching presses for art work.. the commercially available product is poor quality and too expensive.

Good for you. It's always good to know when to get in, and when to get out. Money is nice, but not the end all some think it is. Mike

Every business owners dream…..

I think you’re smart to take a profit and get out now. There are few barriers to entry, so as soon as you start to expand and be visible, tough competition will come after the market you’ve demonstrated. Then comes big investments in marketing, sales, product management, facilities infrastructure and so on. Starts to sound like work, with the outcome not all that certain.

Good idea, and good decisions to start and to stop.

I think you’re smart to take a profit and get out now. There are few barriers to entry, so as soon as you start to expand and be visible, tough competition will come after the market you’ve demonstrated. Then comes big investments in marketing, sales, product management, facilities infrastructure and so on. Starts to sound like work, with the outcome not all that certain.

Good idea, and good decisions to start and to stop.
I did start to think about that too. I had no interesting in being in fierce competition, fighting for the lowest margins.

So, hard as it was, I decided the business wasn't for me and I sold it to some chaps who were way better set up than me.

But you tried and are better for it... which is more than a lot of folks do. Dreams/goals are meant to be chased...

Most important, you knew when to back away!
You did not let it consume you, and all your time and your family life....... smart man.

Brian

So were you buying long lengths and then cutting them and reselling? Just wondering
I can see that getting tedious after a while
-Mark

Back