Finally added some stuff

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, title says it. I finally got a table power feed added to my BT mill after oh, I don't know, 6-7 years? (chuckle) I have to give credit to this site - after seeing some of the bench tops with this feature on them posted here, I made up my mind to add one to my RF31. I also picked up an older light for my lathe off Ebay - got a pretty decent price, considering these things (punk lights?) sell for upwards of $90 - $100.00 :mad: Got one for half that, and also rigged up a couple of snake type adjustable lights for my mill. They should work out OK - time will tell. One thing I'm noticing is I don't have nearly enough outlets for all these lights! (chuckle) My sons are coming over tonight to rectify that - they are electricians by trade, so I get to reap the rewards for all that upbringing they got earlier :biggrin:
Lastly I added one of those red/pink colored horizontal band saws from HF. You can see it to the right of the bench top mill in picture #1. After sending the 1st one back immediately (totally demolished in shipping) I received one that was OK except for a damaged motor and a couple of adjusting knobs. These parts are being replaced free of charge, so I guess all is well. From the little I can use it until I get the replacement parts, I would have to call it a minimal quality item (this may be premature I admit) and don't expect a lot from it, but it has cut 1/4" X 2 flat stock and 2"x4" rectangular tube stock so far with no issues. It certainly is easier and cleaner than my 14" chop saw :)

Anyhow, thought I'd post my additions and share my excitement. Of course at 63 excitement isn't quite what it used to be! :biggrin:

rf31full.JPGpfbtm01.jpggoodpic01.jpg

goodpic01.jpg rf31full.JPG pfbtm01.jpg

Nice addition to the mill there.
What is it that appears to be hanging from the ceiling to the left of the lathe?

Cheers Phil

Good job. That shop is disgustingly clean, can't see any chips anywhere.:thinking:

oohhh... is that a Navy 10L? did it have a 12 volt DC drive? nice!

Yes as a matter of fact it did have the dual drives. I removed the switch for the 12V because I occasionally turned it by mistake when working. It came out a VA center in Prescott AZ in 2009, where it sat unused for may years. I picked it up 2 months ago from a nice fella in Iowa who had it listed on CL. I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

12bolts - that's a weed-whacker - it hangs there during the winter months.

RedIrish - trust me, it isn't usually that clean, but I do try and keep it somewhat tidy in between projects, since I'm not in a full production environment here. :)

I also have an HF band saw like yours. 1st one couldn't keep a blade on the wheels, 2nd one leaked oil. After getting a new seal & disassembling, saw that the leak came from a casting flaw in the seal bore. Cleaned everything up, installed the new seal & filled the flaw with epoxy cement. Runs good now but I think this is typical of HF quality. Still beats a hack saw by a wide margin. Love your shop.

Nice install on the power feed, The Cap on my HF saw blew a few weeks ago.. I couldn't find the right one so I jury rigged one for awhile.

Paul

Very true! When I brought my HF bandsaw home and did it's first cut on a 1.25" round steel bar it lopped it off with about a five degree angle (vertically). After receiving some advice on here dealing with the quality of blade I replaced said blade and viola! Problem fixed.

-Ron

I did order some other blades with the machine from HF - did you replace with blades from another source or just the another HF blade with different tooth count? I remember someone posted here about getting rid of the blade that comes with the saw - that's why I ordered others just for metal.

I ordered some bi-metal blades from Enco. I wasn't sure of the quality of "extra" blades from HF so I figured I'd go with a known source.

-Ron

Good thinking Ron - when I ordered that saw I didn't have an account and Enco. That has been remedied since, but the blades are here already, so I'll give 'em a try. I don't cut all that much steel anymore, but when I do, I want it to work ;)

Back