Finally getting a quick change tool post

taiwanluthiers

Registered
Registered
So I just placed an order for a CXA wedge type tool post. I ordered one tool holder because I plan to make the rest myself.

What is the size of the standard tool holder? I need to know so I can specify the blank size... Steel is cheap here and so if I need a bunch of them it's cheaper for me to machine them than buy them. I have a mill.

I ordered a 60 degree dovetail cutter along with this. I hope it's right (I tried to find it on google but can't).

Should I make it out of a pre hardened P20 steel, or is annealed 1045 steel good enough (the 1045 steel is cheaper)?

@taiwanluthiers None of my offshore holders are made of tool steel. My genuine Aloris is only surface hard and not through-hardened. This leads me to believe that 1045 is more than sufficient. Because I had excess 4140, I made some holders out of that. There seems to be no difference between my offshore soft holders, my 4140 holders and the Aloris holders *in real use*.

-- of course the nitrided and blued ground finish on the Aloris holders is a nice-to-have.

Probably the 'perfect' holder will be made from P20PH, but it will dull your dovetail cutter quicker, and take more time, but will be a 'beaut' when done.

Consider making the first one out of aluminum to get the technique down then change to steel.

Here are a couple videos on a way to make them, especially how to measure the final dovetail depth, there are other YouTube.

Sorry about the assumption you haven't done it but this should help.

I just remembered Inheritance Machining did a YouTube video on making CXA sized tool holders you might find useful. If you pause the video, you might be able to see all the measurements he took on his tool holders, as well as a hardware sizes.

I just remembered Inheritance Machining did a YouTube video on making CXA sized tool holders you might find useful. If you pause the video, you might be able to see all the measurements he took on his tool holders, as well as a hardware sizes.

Great... now I just need a surface grinder which I don't have. I just hope the face mill is enough. I plan to order the blank to size because I do not have a metal cutting bandsaw. My bandsaw only cuts wood.

You don’t need a surface grinder to make them, he used a grinder because he has one, a consistent back surface should be sufficient. You could put a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and run the back side of the blocks over that to flatten it a bit better if necessary, but you probably don’t need to do that.

I’ve noticed over the years that many people overseas don’t have metal bandsaws for cutting stock down to size, that seems to be one of the first purchases Americans make. Do you have an angle grinder? That would enable you to machine the long piece like in the video and then cut them to size fairly easily.

You don’t need a surface grinder to make them, he used a grinder because he has one, a consistent back surface should be sufficient. You could put a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and run the back side of the blocks over that to flatten it a bit better if necessary, but you probably don’t need to do that.

I’ve noticed over the years that many people overseas don’t have metal bandsaws for cutting stock down to size, that seems to be one of the first purchases Americans make. Do you have an angle grinder? That would enable you to machine the long piece like in the video and then cut them to size fairly easily.
I have an angle grinder, but I do not want to go cut big pieces like this as it will eat up grinding wheels and the heat will probably not be good for the steel, especially if it was heat treated.

My shop does mainly woodworking, building guitars, so I bought a woodworking bandsaw. Fact is in Taiwan metalworking tools and equipment is easier to come by than woodworking, and everyone has a metal bandsaw, it's just that I don't have one. The shop I buy the steel from certainly have several metal bandsaw.

Back