Finally Here

author=turbinedoctor link=topic=2711.msg18418#msg18418 date=1310161311
I hope to take plenty of pictures of the uncrating, cleaning and breaking in.

Turbo
So do we! ;)

Congrats Turbo. That is good news! Gotta love the feeling of getting a new machine - or two. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Turbo! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! :D

Best,

Nelson

I agree with dalee, the horror tales of Chinese tools being full of casting sand and other stories have undoubtedly faded away - I havent heard of any big problems in some time. That said, the electrics are apparently still somewhat lagging behind, so I would say to clean the goop off, check fluid levels and any visible nuts,bolts for secure and fire it up and cut some metal. By running it soon after youve taken delivery any problems should be discovered and your chances of dealing with warranty issues are much better.

Im on my fifth Chinese machine tool with a Bridgeport clone and a 12x36 & 13x36 lathe being biggies. My first was a 12x36 Birmingham lathe and I took the thing almost apart, having heard the stories - I found NOTHING out of whack, so for the next ones I just started using them. Somewhat surprisingly I have never had an issue with any of them.

As for the Chinese machines & tooling, I really doubt I would be into this hobby without the reasonable cost/availability of them. I would prefer differently in a perfect world, but --- that aint the case...

With the Jet BDB1340 that we bought from Blueridge a few years ago, I dumped the oils and filled and ran it twice. Black the first time but cleaner after that. I just did a seal change on the spindle as the gear end of the spindle was leaking way too much. Other then that it has been fine.

depends, I tear tools down as little as possible, clean well, oil where needed and off they go. If however you see any signs of dirt such as casting sand etc, then the teardon will be more.

Check fasteners you can get at and see if tight, any found loose, then search more.

Otherwise enjoy

Walter

author=starlight_tools link=topic=2711.msg19457#msg19457 date=1311348393
Lookin' good Turbo.

Only problem I see is "way to much floor showing" LOL

Walter
That will take care of itself soon enough. I'd put money on it! ;D

Turbo, do you have a drip pan for your lathe? If not, I think a couple of cookie sheets may be in order. That bench top is just begging for some stains. ;)

author=Highpower link=topic=2711.msg19463#msg19463 date=1311351944
author=starlight_tools link=topic=2711.msg19457#msg19457 date=1311348393
Lookin' good Turbo.

Only problem I see is "way to much floor showing" LOL

Walter
That will take care of itself soon enough. I'd put money on it! ;D

Turbo, do you have a drip pan for your lathe? If not, I think a couple of cookie sheets may be in order. That bench top is just begging for some stains. ;)

Depending on the size of the lathe, this might work.

Go to HF's web site, check out the manual for their 3 shelf service cart. Call their parts department and order one of the metal shelves to put under your lathe.

Nelson

Back