Finally making swarf on my Logan/MW 10"

Toag has very kindly sent me some tool blanks. I was looking in some of my books and wondering what is the front clearance angle when held in a QCTP holder as opposed to the older lantern style with the built in tilt. Thanks.

Jack C.

I agree with Toag. I have a old Rockwell and took the time to learn how to grind my own tools. I have grown to love the ability of HSS. Also I have found that if you want to get into stainless, it is much easier to achieve a better finish with hss as compared to carbide especially on 303 stainless.this is a pic of my current cutter. Front relief, side relief, and chip breaker. Looks pretty easy, lol. It takes lots of practice.null_zps70dd5e0f.jpg

Depends;

Generally, you don't need a lot of relief angle on a QCTP because they hold the tool horizontal. Some rocker holders do too, but some do not. For any holder with a 0* angle, 8-10* of end and side relief, and back rake, is a decent starting point. Some materials do better with slight tweaks to some of those parameters, but those are a good baseline. Different machines like different things as well. What works on one will not necessarily work well on another, as every machine has its quirks, differing wear, etc. It takes patience and practice to figure out what works best.

Anybody who gets really nice surface finishes not only knows how to grind a tool, but knows their machine!

geom.jpg

Back