Finally, my TH 42 is home!

rfw_1968,

You didn't say whether the motor was connected for 120 or 240 (but given the motor specs, that doesn't really matter). You either have a bad breaker or a bad motor. If the motor doesn't get hot (not just warmer than ambient) after running for 10 minutes or so, it's more likely the breaker. Although it could also be an intermitten short in the motor. As you probably don't have a clip-on AC ammeter, I would change the breaker and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, something is wrong with the motor (or just conceivably with the lathe).

Robert D.

The motor passed the test with flying colors so I will be changing the breaker. Thank you for the advice. I have encountered one other concern about which I hope to be proven wrong. The carriage gib was missing when I got the lathe so I ordered one and installed it. After adjusting it I realized that the carriage gets very tight toward the end of the bed by the tail stock. I fear this means that the ways are worn and thus wider on the area least used. Please prove me wrong if you can.

OK. If that doesn't fix it, you'll need to find someone (preferably a friend) who has a clamp-on AC ammeter to come over and monitor the current while you run the machine. Then try to figure out what's causing the fluctuation or spikes.

Yes, you have some localized wear on the back of the rear way and maybe the front of the front way. That's the one advantage of a V-bed way over a flat bed. If you almost never need to run the carriage to the area where it gets tight, don't worry about it. If you do once in a while, try loosening the right (tailstock side) carriage gib screw just a little. If it's a constant problem, go to the scraping forum and ask for help. Just ignore any rude comments about flat bed lathes.

Robert D.

I switched out the breaker and the problem was fixed. Thanks for all of the help.

Back