Finding A Used Machine

Bill Rosselot

Registered
Registered
I have a few questions, when looking at used equipment, what are some of the fist things everyone should look for, if you can see the machine run. There is an auction coming up and I may go and I would like to know what I need to look at or look for. Mostly looking at the Atlas or SB lathes because I think that is what they will have at this auction.

Make sure the spindle turns freely and feels tight. Run the carriage, cross slide, and compound back and fourth for their entire range of travel. If any slide binds at the ends or is loose in the center, that's a sign of extreme way wear. Some tightness at the ends is normal for a used machine, but binding is not good. Check tailstock ways and quill tightness.

If you have time, check leadscrew and halfnut wear, back gears and QCGB gears (if applicable), and anything else that moves or is subject to wear/abuse. Rear leadscrew bearing is sometimes neglected for instance.

Make sure the spindle turns freely and feels tight. Run the carriage, cross slide, and compound back and fourth for their entire range of travel. If any slide binds at the ends or is loose in the center, that's a sign of extreme way wear. Some tightness at the ends is normal for a used machine, but binding is not good. Check tailstock ways and quill tightness.

If you have time, check leadscrew and halfnut wear, back gears and QCGB gears (if applicable), and anything else that moves or is subject to wear/abuse. Rear leadscrew bearing is sometimes neglected for instance.
Thank you very much

Bill---I always feel the most important thing is the price and the accessories being included with the machine--at some auctions they sell all the nice accessories separate from the lathe or mill---if so then my bid on just the lathe would be low unless it was in perfect condition--remember that all tooling and chucks and collets can be a lot of expense if bought later----if lots of good extras are sold with the lathe then sometimes you get the basic lathe for a very low investment---besides looking at the condition of the lathe, also look at the condition of the chucks and tooling---and also know-- if it is on a nice stand ----it can be valued at up to a couple hundred ----Dave

Bill---I always feel the most important thing is the price and the accessories being included with the machine--at some auctions they sell all the nice accessories separate from the lathe or mill---if so then my bid on just the lathe would be low unless it was in perfect condition--remember that all tooling and chucks and collets can be a lot of expense if bought later----if lots of good extras are sold with the lathe then sometimes you get the basic lathe for a very low investment---besides looking at the condition of the lathe, also look at the condition of the chucks and tooling---and also know-- if it is on a nice stand ----it can be valued at up to a couple hundred ----Dave
I was thinking the same thing. Thanks Dave Hows the weather up there in Rochester. I have an office in Deer Creek. I live in Ohio but do alot of traveling, own a construction company based out of Deer Creek.

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks Dave Hows the weather up there in Rochester. I have an office in Deer Creek. I live in Ohio but do alot of traveling, own a construction company based out of Deer Creek.

The attached is about inspection of used Myford lathes, but a lot of the things to look for are pretty generic so it may be of some use.

Attachments

• Myford Pre-owned Inspection Guide.pdf
    837.5 KB · Views: 5
Back