Finding top edge

I’ve been using ZigZag papers for the last 55 years, bring tool down and touch, if paper can be pulled out without cutting that’s about 1 thou ! Hasen’t failed me all these years, he he he !
I always feel awkward buying them so I bought a roll of .002” shim stock.

This is what I do. Don't forget to zero the knee.
My quill DRO died. I started using the knee instead if the quill for depth if cut.
I kind of like it as I had issues with accuracy with the cheap quill DRO.
If I buy another one I’ll get a good one.

If you order them from Amazon they will come in an unmarked envelope :grin:

I suspect that most rolling paper purchases are for something other than tobacco....
Exactly, who rolls smokes? Of course at $10 per pack maybe it’s becoming more popular.
Although, I rarely see anyone smoking anymore.

A few years ago I was working with a friend who had a well service. Because of cost, he had switched to rolling his own with pipe tobacco, which he was constantly doing while driving and talking on the phone. I talked him into letting me roll for him, but I rolled too tight and they didn't draw freely enough. I ended up driving instead.

I've never smoked any '100mph Winstons', but when I was in my late teens/ early twenties, I enjoyed smoking a pipe loaded with Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey...

I did learn to 'roll my own' with Prince Albert, though... I was almost fired from my job because the boss thought it was something besides tobacco.

-Bear

For touching off Z, I keep a 1/4" dowel pin next to the machine. Put the end of the cutter (not spinning, of course) about 0.2" above the work, lay the pin on the work and gently push it under the cutter. Now slowly raise the cutter. The pin will slide under as you get close to 0.250" and slip right through when you are exactly there. On a CNC or with a DRO you can set the display to 0.250" at this point. On a manual machine crank in 0.250 on the knee to get to the surface of the part.

Don't try to bring the cutter down onto the dowel, you'll damage the flutes. Always go up.

After doing it a couple of times you'll find this to be very fast and very accurate.

For touching off Z, I keep a 1/4" dowel pin next to the machine. Put the end of the cutter (not spinning, of course) about 0.2" above the work, lay the pin on the work and gently push it under the cutter. Now slowly raise the cutter. The pin will slide under as you get close to 0.250" and slip right through when you are exactly there. On a CNC or with a DRO you can set the display to 0.250" at this point. On a manual machine crank in 0.250 on the knee to get to the surface of the part.

Don't try to bring the cutter down onto the dowel, you'll damage the flutes. Always go up.

After doing it a couple of times you'll find this to be very fast and very accurate.
I definitely need to try this! I happen to have a bag of .250" dowel pins. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my (much more complicated) touch detector.

Back