Finger plate

RJ-Jr

Registered
Registered
I made this a week or so ago when I found out I had the shop to myself for most of the week. Everyone else went on the road for a demo. Ive used it a few times since and it is handy when needed.
rickIMG_0165.jpeg

Agreed, nice work.

I can see right away how something like this could be used but I’m more curious as to how you are finding it useful. Is this something you typically use in a vise or hold in your hand or maybe just flat down on the bench as you’ve shown it? And for doing what? Like I said, I can think of a bunch of ways I’d use one but I’m interested in how you’re using it.

-frank

Agreed, nice work.

I can see right away how something like this could be used but I’m more curious as to how you are finding it useful. Is this something you typically use in a vise or hold in your hand or maybe just flat down on the bench as you’ve shown it? And for doing what? Like I said, I can think of a bunch of ways I’d use one but I’m interested in how you’re using it.

-frank
Great question. I for sure fell into the YouTube trap of “that looks cool, I want one….” Just making something for pleasure. However, I do find myself holding onto small oddly shaped parts and drilling, milling them. So far it’s been used in the vise.
Also used it to hold short pieces in our 4x6 hor-bandsaw.

I sure could have used this last time I was in the shop. Was working with small round parts and my standard v-blocks were just getting in the way. There wasn't enough shaft to clamp on without the v-block arch clamp being in the way of the drill/mill/chuck.

What's the hole in the v-groove allow you to do?
Also, as previously mentioned, drill and tap the side so you can use the other V?

I've also been using my small machinists vise to hold small part while I file or do other manual tasks. I need to make up some additional holders like this for all the small stuff I do.

I sure could have used this last time I was in the shop. Was working with small round parts and my standard v-blocks were just getting in the way. There wasn't enough shaft to clamp on without the v-block arch clamp being in the way of the drill/mill/chuck.

What's the hole in the v-groove allow you to do?
Also, as previously mentioned, drill and tap the side so you can use the other V?

I've also been using my small machinists vise to hold small part while I file or do other manual tasks. I need to make up some additional holders like this for all the small stuff I do.
obviously the hole in the v allows multiple things:
drilling a hole in a round stock
punching out a pin
threading round stock
clearance for a screw or pin thats already in the round stock.

I'm sure I would have found it useful sooner or later. Thanks.
Is there a specific purpose for the big v cut?

Back