Finished!- Lathe Chuck adjustable t-slot stand-offs

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I saw Tom Lipton's version and simplified it to my hobby shop standards.
4140 was the material I used.
The pieces were hardened today using an oxy acetylene torch and light oil.
Everything fits correctly. I'm pretty happy with the end product, this was a bit of a stretch for me.
I was looking for consistency and proper function. I give myself a C- for the overall project. The first prototype has much larger chamfers.

I learned a bunch, better next time.IMG_4109.jpgIMG_4110.jpgIMG_4115.jpgIMG_4117.jpg

Nice job!

I wish I had t-slots on my 4-jaw. But apparently 4-jaw chucks only come with t-slots for 10" & larger chucks, mine is only an 8".

For the newbies in the crowd (that’s me!!) what/how are these used?
(Very nice work by the way!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're used for chucking short pieces so they are parallel with the chuck face. Also prevents short pieces from getting pushed back when there's not much clamping force on a thin part as well as locating (repeatability) so the part can be removed & reinstalled. Think like parrallels in a milling vise. They're called chuck stops.

There are many commercially sold variations & they can get quite pricey. The style Jeff made are adjustable. Some people drill & tap the chuck body so they bolt right onto the chuck. Check out Rob Renzetti on how he made his.

ChuckStop1.jpg

Oh that’s very cool!
I’d be really nervous about drilling into the face of my chuck (at this point in my learning journey anyway...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be really nervous about drilling into the face of my chuck

Me too! That's what's great about Jeff's, no need to modify the chuck, they mount using the existing t-slots on his chuck.

Nice job Jeff ! If I did those I would give myself an A lol but I have low self esteem so I have to always give myself high Mark's ha ha

Back