Finished my AXA toolpost

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been working on a few axa toolposts on and off for a while. Today I made a handle for one of them and tried it out. Works fine but after turning the offset on the center piece a second time, my handle position is off by 90 degrees. Just have to drill and tap another hole.20190421_152736.jpg

Came out really nice, Chuck!

Can you just face/grind it 1/4 turn equivalent vs tapping a new hole?
Yeah....I could shorten the pistons. The problem comes when I try to use import holders rather than my homemade holders. They are all different. I have the travel great enough to lock down even the loosest import holder as it is. If I shorten the travel a few probably won't lock. That's where wedge toolposts really have an advantage.

I’ve cut a few dovetails in tools and made some homemade specialty tool blocks so sometimes I have to machine the homemade blocks a bit larger than the original measurements by a few thousands.

Now in your case I’d do what you suggested by drill and tap a new hole and plug the original. I did the same to my import QCTP
This is the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking tooling!

Whenever I get a QCTP (I think 3 so far), I drill & tap extra handle holes every 90º, so it's never a problem to locate the handle out of the way, even for unusual situations.

Thanks for the replies guys. When I finish machining everything, I'm going to get the turkey fryer out and blacken all of the parts. That's such a nasty process that I prefer to wait until I can do a lot of parts at one time.

I’ve cut a few dovetails in tools and made some homemade specialty tool blocks so sometimes I have to machine the homemade blocks a bit larger than the original measurements by a few thousands.

Now in your case I’d do what you suggested by drill and tap a new hole and plug the original. I did the same to my import QCTP
This is the video

I moved the handle today. I planned on adding a ball oiler like you did on yours but I seem to have stored the bag of ball oilers in one of those special places that I can't remember. I"m sure they will turn up as soon as I buy more of them. For the time being I cut and slotted the end of a bolt to plug the hole. 20190427_164852.jpg

Chuck K. I didn’t put a ball oiler in my post. Just made an aluminum plug that’s threaded and locktited it into place

Nice work- you made that whole thing yourself? Looks like factory (in a good way)
Mark

Back