Finished my collet chuck today

RWanke

Registered
Registered
I think this thing may work out. Thanks for all the help on here with the metric threading, etc. Bought the nut and 4 collets so far. Now to come up with a couple fun projects to try it out.

IMG_6865.JPG

IMG_6864.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6863.JPG
    IMG_6863.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 27
At some point I am going to have to make one of those myself. Still have more tooling to buy before I am ready though. So much tooling.

That is pretty sharp looking. Simple but functional, my wife describes me like that so I take it as a compliment.

Great looking part- I want to make one too but my lathe is so, so lame it hardly deserves it LOL
Mark

What type spindle thread does your lathe have? It looks like you made it for ER40 collets. Is that true or another size?

Have not checked the runout yet (had to get everything ready to go fishing with my son today). I bought the nut from Little Machine shop along with the 4 ER-40 collets. 1/4" 5/16" 3/8" and 1/2" so far. My lathe is a South Bend 9c so the spindle thread is 1 1/2-8. First time doing internal single point threading. The threads came out a little looser than what I wanted but the register is a good fit.

For my next project I want to build a simple air powered steam engine. Unfortunately I don't have a mill so I would like to find some plans for a lathe only model. If anyone knows of a place I can find something like this please let me know.

Attempted to check runout today but all I have to check it with is a 1/2" piece of 12L15. I have no idea how round it is. Wish I had a piece of TG&P or at least a ground pin to put in it. But what I came up with was out by .0023 about 1" from the chuck. Not very impressive. It was out by about .0045 about 9" out. ???

How did you handle the metric threading? That's exactly where I'm stuck with my collet chuck!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back