Finished my collet chuck today

Great job on the ER chuck.

Unfortunately I don't have a mill so I would like to find some plans for a lathe only model. If anyone knows of a place I can find something like this please let me know.

There have been a few discussions on the forum about lathe milling attachments, both DIY and purchased ones.
This is one of them:

Can you take another light pass on the internal taper to fix the runout? That might improve things
As long as the chuck screws on to the spindle with repeatable accuracy you just need a slight tweak

Did you check the run-out of the ER taper?

Turn the 12L14 true and test runout again maybe with a smaller collet. Do you have a MT3 collet chuck to test?

Turn the 12L14 true and test runout again maybe with a smaller collet. Do you have a MT3 collet chuck to test?
No, don't have a MT collet chuck. Going to play with it a little more next week if I can.

Why would there be runout when the taper was turned on the chuck mounted to the lathe headstock directly?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

There are a few checks that could be done;

1. remove and reinstall the chuck on the spindle and measure run out of the internal taper with a DTI. Do this a few times and measure each time to see if there is any variation.
2. using some blue in the taper, rub a collet gently in the taper by hand to see how evenly the taper fits the collet.
3. procure or make some pins that fit each collet exactly. Mount a collet in the nut and insert the pin then tighten the nut to spec. Check the run out with a DTI on each pin to compare collets.
When using ER collets it is important to use grease on both the chuck and nut tapers.

Note that ER nuts and collets are not all created equal. Part of the runout might be coming from the components you bought. Are there run out specs on the parts you bought?

Last edited:
Back