Fire damaged 12x36 import lathe restoration.

Very nice! Make anything cool?, Or just chips?

Here's an idea for a first project. @slodat made a lever to replace the nut on his toolpost.

I made mine around 10 years ago. It's one of those little conveniences, that once you've had, you'll never be without again. Kinda like owning a lathe :)

Dodge Destroyer Gray or Massey Furgeson gray are some of my favorite gray colors.

Dodge Destroyer Gray or Massey Furgeson gray are some of my favorite gray colors.

My lathe's base pedestals, chip pan, drawer and center panel have been at APC powder coating in Bellingham for 4 weeks getting some Cardinal Gray powder coat.

Last I talked to them, they have it blasted and coated with zinc epoxy primer powder. I should have it back this week.Screenshot_20210214-083904.png

Very nice! Make anything cool?, Or just chips?

Here's an idea for a first project. @slodat made a lever to replace the nut on his toolpost.

I made mine around 10 years ago. It's one of those little conveniences, that once you've had, you'll never be without again. Kinda like owning a lathe :)

Nothing cool. Just grabbed an old 3/4 socket and did some turning and facing. Need to build up some tooling. I have a few HSS blanks I salvaged from my Gradpa's shop but I need to actually grind them into something useful.

My lathe's base pedestals, chip pan, drawer and center panel have been at APC powder coating in Bellingham for 4 weeks getting some Cardinal Gray powder coat.

Last I talked to them, they have it blasted and coated with zinc epoxy primer powder. I should have it back this week.
I have similar taste. My F-150 is the same Gray color.

Really nice work on this lathe!

Back when I only had a small lathe, I almost got a fire damaged lathe from a friend, but the insurance company insisted on picking it up and taking it to the metal recycler. The replacement cost on the lathe was 15K$, so they wanted to ensure the old one was gone.

Even if your bearings are a little damaged or out, you can still use it to good effect until you want to fork out the $ for their replacements!

Nice work all around!

Back