Fire damaged 12x36 import lathe restoration.

I also hope it did not get a straight stream hose down. :)

Update.

Making some progress. I got a lot taken apart and cleaned. I soaked anything I could fit in the buck of Evaporust. I laid paper towels soaked in Evaporust on the ways and anything else I shouldn't fit in the bucket. Ordered some replacement switches and a few other misc parts from Grizzly. Power has been run and I replaced the power cord into the electrical box (it was a bit crispy). but I grabbed the wrong plug for the power cable so it will have to wait a little bit longer.

145022249_3606661196055623_5701332024402745168_n.jpg

Great progress!

-brino

I recognize it from your post on "the hide". Looking good.

Look over the contactors and breakers in the electrical box on the back of the lathe. There are lots of plastic electrical parts in there. A whole lot more than the front panel, and they all gotta work too.

Also, the forward reverse switch actuated by the apron power lever has a set of plastic contacts. It's the box attached to the bottom of the gearbox. The bottom rod, below your leadscrew and powerfeed rod controls the contactors inside it.

I recognize it from your post on "the hide". Looking good.

Look over the contactors and breakers in the electrical box on the back of the lathe. There are lots of plastic electrical parts in there. A whole lot more than the front panel, and they all gotta work too.

Also, the forward reverse switch actuated by the apron power lever has a set of plastic contacts. It's the box attached to the bottom of the gearbox. The bottom rod, below your leadscrew and powerfeed rod controls the contactors inside it.
I figured sharing here would be a bit more useful when it comes to having questions answered vs the hide.

Speaking of questions...

I have been using the Grizzley manual because it seems to be a little better quality than the others. However, I am struggling with something.

The Grizzley manual shows a sight glass for the oil level on the carriage but mine does not have one. I need to know how much to put in after draining but nowhere can I find a listed quantity for the carriage. Does anybody know?

Speaking of questions...

I have been using the Grizzley manual because it seems to be a little better quality than the others. However, I am struggling with something.

The Grizzley manual shows a sight glass for the oil level on the carriage but mine does not have one. I need to know how much to put in after draining but nowhere can I find a listed quantity for the carriage. Does anybody know?

Precision Mathews sells a very similar model. Appears almost identical except that it is a newer model and has a different quick change gearbox.

They list it's apron oil capacity as 1/2 quart.

From the PM1236 manual:

precisionmatthews.com › PM...PDF
Model PM-1236 Lathe - Precision Matthews

Also, Shop Fox sold the same model as yours (the m1112).

The shop Fox manual:

The Precision Mathews PM-1236 manual:

Adding a sight glass is a common mod. I added one to the 12x36 I used to own. Actually, 2. Mine needed one on the headstock too. Had a forum member measure the location relative to the lower right corner of the apron. Drilled and tapped a hole with a 1/2 npt pipe thread tap, and used a 7$ sight glass from Amazon

Last edited:
Back