Fired up my tig machine

Practice lots, every time your welds will get better .
I went for a job interview years ago. There was a weld test. I had never welded before in my life , other than watching my father when I was a kid.
They brought out a steel bin of scrap and told me to weld pieces together. The guy never came back for an hour and a half. I had welded for 90 minutes straight. ( tried to weld I should say) My welds were literally crap.
I still got hired and they trained me and I welded for ten years. IMHO worst profession ever. Lol
Cheers
Martin

Some of it comes with practice, some with age. Posted today on HSM.

"TIG welding!
Today, 04:42 AM

A couple of days ago I was showing a young man how to TIG weld. He is pretty good with stick and MIG. I let him try it after he watched me for quite a long time. When he was done with a few beads he asked me how long it took me to be able to manipulate the torch and therefore the arc the way I was doing. I asked him to explain further. He told me I was an artist the way I could make the arc dance in the puddle with the tiny movements almost like a vibration. With awe in his eyes he said he just couldn't do it and it was bothering him. I just smiled and told him to just practice and he would get it someday. At what point to I tell him that the tiny puddle manipulation comes with old age and never ending trembling in my hands!
cool.png
"

My problem with tig welding is I don’t do it frequently enough. I forget settings or just getting comfortable with it. I always practice alittle before the job, get the boogies out of my system. Much more confident with mig but like the challenges of tig. You’ll come around practice practice practice.

I definitely will give it more practice. I am happy that the machine works, after owning it for a couple of years, and never using it. Thank you for the encouragement.

Tig welding is not easy.
I keep telling myself to practice. I ordered some cards so I have no excuse.
I was able to weld the coolant tank with some success using my TIG.
I used the grinder too :)

Tig welding is not easy.
I keep telling myself to practice. I ordered some cards so I have no excuse.
I was able to weld the coolant tank with some success using my TIG.
I used the grinder too :)
I couldn't agree with you more. It is one of the most challenging thing's I've tried to learn!

This is the monster I hope to figure out, and the table. I don't know if I'm left handed, or right handed yet, and have not figured out which direction I like the best. Gotta burn some more gas.... That is the big amp plug in the back, I may just put a 50 amp plug, and have it for backup, there is a fused throw switch too.

Back