Firing pin steel selection

Metaloxide

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am working on restoring a particularly trashed FIE E15 revolver and one of the parts that I can't buy is the firing pin. I don't have a lathe but I made a functional replacement using a drill press and file out of 12L14 steel as a test. Now I feel confident I can make the part so I want to get a better steel for the purpose.
I ordered some 1144 rod from McMasters and I was wondering if it would be a good choice or is there something better available.
I am extremely limited in heat treating ability as all I have is propane and oxyacetylene torches and my wife's oven.
Screenshot_20240331_152047_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240331_152105_Chrome.jpg

I know of a guy on another forum that just made a firing pin for a Farley action from a grade 8 bolt.
I would guess they are probably made with 4140 or something similar.
Joe

I know of a guy on another forum that just made a firing pin for a Farley action from a grade 8 bolt.
I would guess they are probably made with 4140 or something similar.
Joe
I've heard of that as well.
From my basic understanding the metal needs to be hard enough the end that the hammer hits doesn't mushroom and tough enough that it doesn't shatter if it gets dry fired. Maybe a grade 8 bolt would work well enough but I'd prefer to buy a certified piece of steel so I know what I'm working with.

I know 14-4PH is a steel that is favored for firing pins in some applications. Depending on the design, it may or may not be that important. Manganese content is usually a good thing to look for when making parts that get hammered or struck.
Here's a picture of the design. The really shiny one is my practice run out of 12L14 and the other one is the original which had the tip mushroomed over and I had to grind it off so now it's not long enough. They go in the center of that cup which gets pressed into the frame of the revolver. 20240331_142058.jpg20240331_142138.jpg

I would try a piece of 4140. It is pretty tough material. You could get a piece from mcmaster.
Joe
Do you think it should be hardened or left annealed?
I'm finding everybody seems to have a different opinion on that and I'm not sure which way is best for the application.

How easy does a file cut the original one?
You could make one from O1 and harden it with a torch and anneal it in the oven.
I would try the 4140 and see how it works. I would bet it would last a long time.
Joe

How easy does a file cut the original one?
You could make one from O1 and harden it with a torch and anneal it in the oven.
I would try the 4140 and see how it works. I would bet it would last a long time.
Joe
The original cuts very easily.
However this is a very low quality gun so I don't want to base my choice on the original quality if there's a superior option.

Back