First attempt at fly cutter.

That's a sexy fly cutter! I've got the start of my first one chucked up at home in the lathe myself, I hope it turns out as good!

That's a sexy fly cutter! I've got the start of my first one chucked up at home in the lathe myself, I hope it turns out as good!
Now I did not make a plan or drawing I seen it on a forum or net and just went after making it , After I gave it a spin I believe more angle would help its hard for me at least to get the cutting edge ground correctly. that said I have another in lathe now will try more angle.
Live and learn.
Thanks for the kind words.
DK
BTW 10 degree was the original.

After I gave it a spin I believe more angle would help its hard for me at least to get the cutting edge ground correctly.

Thanks for the tip, I would have thought the angle was relatively unimportant as long as you had clearance.

I just found the plans that mention 10 degrees, but I think now I might make it 20...

I think it may be I just had a bit of a time getting hss at a proper cut angle..I think practice would fix that issue. DK

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

All though last night I started over. Made a better part following some advice an picked up small insert cutter an was pleased as could be. I tried harder paid more attention and results show it.

20170210_092259.jpg20170210_200307.jpg
This one has A bit more angle I think this will help me on sharpening.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back