First attempt at home anodizing

RIT is a brand of dye sold here in the US for dying cloth and clothing - commonly available at grocery stores here. Usually sold as powder to mix with water, they do have a few colors available now in a liquid concentrate form.

Oh! Thanks I was expecting it might have been something more exotic. This makes your results even more impressive IMHO. I'm sure I can find an equivalent clothes dye here in OZ.

thanks,

Si.

As soon as warmer weather gets here I've got to start playing with Anodizing, I've got the buckets, the DC power supply, heater for the dye, and the acid. Here is the calculator you wanted.

Todd

Attachments

• 720RuleCalculatorRev001.zip
    53.6 KB · Views: 36
Really need good ventilation when doing this - the fumes from etching the aluminum in drain cleaner (lye) must be ammonia (can be pretty strong) and not sure what the plating process lets off, but there is a definite toxic odor to that as well, even with the pool chemicals for electrolyte.

As soon as warmer weather gets here I've got to start playing with Anodizing, I've got the buckets, the DC power supply, heater for the dye, and the acid. Here is the calculator you wanted.

Todd

Todd, let me and John know when you try this. I'm sure we'd want to see it...

Chuck

The gas produced from reacting Aluminum with Sodium Hydroxide (lye) is Hydrogen. It is the same gas released when charging lead acid batteries. Hydrogen is explosive in very low concentrations. This is something you do not want to play with in an enclosed space, or in the presence of an ignition source. Granted, you are not generating a whole lot of the stuff, but there is always a chance of an exciting trip to the ER. I wouldn't do it in my garage. I have been tempted to try my hand with it outside, and with proper safety precautions.

Nice looking parts.

Larry

Those results are very encouraging.
I've been wanting to try this for years, but haven't got to it so far.

Now I need to go get those chemicals, dyes, etc and keep another tank and power supply in the shop.
I just tried electrolysis for rust removal on some small steel milling machine parts as proof of concept.
That went well, but I need more time to experiment with the variables.

So many interesting projects, so little shop time.......

Dan, Thanks for sharing!

brino

Was on Caswell site today figure about $175 in supplies but that's with their dye sample pack and blackening for my steel. Good deal on shipping only $15 compared to EPI at $55 for just the blackening. I'll have to make sure I get all that I need in one shipment.

Todd

What I used all came from Walmart. about $8 for the swimming pool pH reducer, About $3 for the dye, and about $5 for the drain cleaner. I mixed up a 2 liter bottle of electolyte and used maybe 1/2 cup of the pH reducer. I figured I'd start small and see if it worked. Already have several regulated power supplies, being an electronics hobbyist and Ham. If I get serious, I may spend some money on better supplies, tanks, etc.

What I used all came from Walmart. about $8 for the swimming pool pH reducer, About $3 for the dye, and about $5 for the drain cleaner. I mixed up a 2 liter bottle of electolyte and used maybe 1/2 cup of the pH reducer. I figured I'd start small and see if it worked. Already have several regulated power supplies, being an electronics hobbyist and Ham. If I get serious, I may spend some money on better supplies, tanks, etc.

I've got most of the things I need already no need some desmut and blackening supplies with the shipping cost get high figured I'd kill two birds with one stone.

Todd

Back