First Lathe - Atlas 3950 Mk.2 w/ mill attachment

@redstone71 IMO you've got one heck of a start there for sure.
Don't mourn the Pings, heck greens fee are a bit high anyway, and you may get more enjoyment out of the lathe than the clubs.
And look at it this way, at least you traded them for something very cool. I sold my clubs when my first son came along - for diapers and formula.

@Bi11Hudson *Hat Tip* I enjoyed your write up.

You got one heck of a pile of stuff there. Don't be discouraged, I think everything will work out ok. Looks like an ER collet sitting in front of a chuck. Wonder if you have the holder somewhere in the pile?

David
Next to the knurling tool is the collet tool that was in the lathe when I received it, I removed it to put the chuck back on. He was evidently using it in its 'mill' configuration last. I have not found another one that I am aware of.

depends on how much those golf clubs were worth to you, but if the change gears are there I think you have a pretty good set up. Milling attachment, DC motor (!), various bits'n'pieces. Either a KB drive or an MC60 treadmill drive should be able to run that motor and I guarantee that you'll enjoy having variable speed on a lathe. I added a DC motor to my 618, to my drill press and I'm about to add one to my mill.

Read everything you can, sort out what you have so we can offer suggestions on what you might need to get started, find some scrap aluminium and just get started making chips. It only gets more fun from there!

I was selling the clubs for $300 prior to the trade. When he sent me the link and description I had in mind some of the youtube videos of 'rebuilds' where he is "I picked this up this weekend . . .' and it is a Atlas 6" on a nice bench, with organized drawers and tools all well maintained. I go to pick it up with this in my mind . . . But the reality was a lathe and a big box of stuff he had just dumped in there. He evidently had to get it out of the shop at his dads place in Ohio quickly so they were just piling stuff in the truck.

When you do get it running , I would get rid of the lantern tool post and get one of these . https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PC-OXA-W...767580?hash=item1ebc92f95c:g:zGoAAOSwV~VaNFXK the reason for that is it is so much easier to set the tool bit and you don't need the frustration . Not to mention it is so much more rigid and that is really important . Good luck and keep us posted .
Thanks to you and Bi11 I will probably pick this up. I was looking at an Atlas / Craftsman one that is for a 10" lathe and was trying to find out if it would fit. But this looks like it will work just fine (and its cheaper to boot).
Do I need the tool holders as well? I have only found one so far.

I used the lantern tool post on mine for years, to the point where sometimes I would compromise and use the wrong tool just because it was such a pain to always keep setting the tool height.

Definitely get a QCTP. And as far as I am concerned you can't have enough tool holders. If you have to keep changing out lathe tools in a single tool holder you have lost the advantage. You will want one for parting, and boring, and a few more spares as well for left and right turning. I also have one with a dial indicator mounted in it for centering in the 4 jaw.

David

for $300 worth I think you got an absolute deal. Just the milling attachment alone is worth $100-150 on eBay. I'll send you a PM in a bit about your DC controller Q

As you ask for help here, remember that many of the people here are much more advanced than you are and may give too much guidence. Listen to what they say, but take it at your own speed.

Bill, I really enjoyed your response to the OP, especially the quote above.

@redstone71, welcome to HM and to the best hobby there is!

Hi redstone. Don't be bummed. You did fine. I was in the market for clubs, and a good set of Pings is nice, but if you aren't playing, you don't need them. From a fellow blacksmith, and beginning machinist, welcome! By the way, your "basket" case is in much better shape than the lathes I originally bought were in when I bought them. Take it slow, and keep forging ahead. The first lathe I bought had no faceplate, no handles, no threading gears, no motor, and the gear train was seized up so badly that the leadscrew wouldn't turn. You are waaaay ahead. You don't need a tool holder with those lantern tool posts. Just shim up a long cutting tool and have at it. When I set up my first lathe, I was too impatient to make a tool holder, and I just picked up a wood chisel and chucked a small aluminum rod and got chips. It was just delightful, and it gave me the motivation to move ahead. Your training as a blacksmith is ideal, since it has given you discipline and the ability to start small.

I've got a complete set of King Cobra's I picked up dirt cheap at an estate sale 6 years ago. The plan was that I'd pick up the game where I left off 30 years ago. Would have loved to have a set like this back when.
Also got a complete set of Tridents for the better half...
They've sat for 6 years. I enjoy my shop more than I believe I ever did golfing and would rather spend the green fees on tooling...

Back