First Lathe, Logan 1875 Tooling Questions

Hey Az;

- I know I talk a lot about traditional methods and learning from the beginning (instead of ending up back there anyways after a lot of frustration), but I would NEVER begrudge anyone the acquisition and use of a QCTP. I just don't have the patience for the old lantern type.

- Regarding carbide, I would suggest reading this thread. It is one of the best repositories of knowledge I have ever seen on the subject.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ses-inserts-278566/?highlight=carbide+tooling

Thank you everybody for the links and advice.

ENCO has a today only 20% off and free shipping coupon codes if you spend $199. So I just got my Phase II AXA Wedge Type QCTP Kit, some 3/8" and 1/2" square HSS blanks, a couple parting tool blades, and a boring tool kit.

Mainly wanted to QCTP but had to add stuff to meet the $200 minimum. Either way, I can start cutting as soon as I get some bits...........DAMN, Gotta learn how to grind em first.

Adding a couple pics of my baby. It worked in the practice section hope it works here. The guy I bought it from didn't give me tooling but it does look like he did some work on it in recent years.

There were baggies full of the old bearings and bushings in the cabinet. ALL of them. Head stock and some other bearings and a bunch of bronze bushings. He replaced the brass label and belts too.

No broken teeth I can find, everything seems smooth and tight. Well.........to me. It's my first lathe.

It kind of "Jingles" when all the back gears? are turning. Is that normal? Eathan and Lathe 004 (2).jpg

Eathan and Lathe 003 (2).jpg Eathan and Lathe 004 (2).jpg

Looks like a good machine that's been gone through recently. Enjoy!

Thanks Jon,

Just got some chucks, HSS blanks and a Phase II AXA tool post kit. Now I just have to learn how to grind the HSS blanks and either fab up an adapter to put the QCTP into the T-slot on my lathe or have the base that came with it milled to fit.

Hopefully...........I'll get to use it soon.

A friend of mine had my QCTP base milled to fit the T-slot in my compound rest. I watched a bunch of videos and read a lot on grinding HSS bits. My head hurts now.

Kind of overwhelming yet I keep hearing, "It's really easy and you're angles don't have to be perfect". Yet precise angles are always mentioned? I ground a couple on my belt grinder and they look like the ones I read about so we'll see how it goes.

Got the lathe all slicked up with the proper lubes. It's running smooth and everything seems tight. Probably will need to align it. It's sitting in a temporary location and will be for months. All I had was regular carpenters levels and some door shims under the mounts.

Stuck dead centers in the head and tailstock and touched them together. They "SEEM" to be aligned point to point. I guess I'll find out soon............... as I can find something to turn. I cant find ANYTHING laying around my garage to turn! Dang it!

I used to work in mining and construction. Scrap goodies all over the place. Not so in healthcare. What I do now. Guess I'll be headed to the industrial metal supplier soon.

Back