First lathe project: QCTP lock nut lever handle

If you have a 4 jaw independent chuck, you could thread a bolt inside your cap there (and a nut tight up against the bolt head so your chuck jaws will have plenty of meat to grab onto), clamp both the bolt head and nut in the chuck jaws (can be done, see photo), indicate it in to your desired concentricity, & then use files, emery tape (on a file) and Scotch Brite to put a shine on that taper.

Go easy because you will have to screw it off when you are done, but the bolt head in a bench vise & getting leverage with your handle (or large vise grips with improvised protected jaws) will help with this.

CA3CEE3B-7326-44DD-BE5A-C882DDF71D11.png

Last edited:
I parted off the looser of the two threads I cut and gave it another go. This time I put an indicator on compound travel. This helped me with consistent depth of cut. Threads fit a bit better. I think I’m going to up it to 5/8-18. Waiting on the tap and drill.

Photos from tonight:

c0e62cb4fcab3cb3c8942c21583d1fd1.jpg

6b9195336ca9653c209f3993f5f55b88.jpg

It feels like I’m getting plenty tight with the handle as is. The lever needs to mate up the the body better. I need the body threads another 1/4 deeper. Fun project. Continuing to learn a lot.

Great project. I did something similar a few months back, and love it. Great addition to a Quick Change.

Thanks guys. I’m considering chucking it up and seeing about a better surface finish on the taper.

Fun project. Learned a lot. I’ll use it every time I run the lathe.

Back