First mill chips

Thanks @mickri that's great advice. My inclination is to start making useful things. Well I suppose I already did with my wanna-be T-nut. But your point is well taken.

I definitely have my eye on tool-holders as a near-term (?) prize. There's a ton of skills required to get there; layout, milling to precise dimensions, dovetails, slot-cutting, tapping plus a bunch I probably don't know about yet.

Thanks @mickri that's great advice. My inclination is to start making useful things. Well I suppose I already did with my wanna-be T-nut. But your point is well taken.

I definitely have my eye on tool-holders as a near-term (?) prize. There's a ton of skills required to get there; layout, milling to precise dimensions, dovetails, slot-cutting, tapping plus a bunch I probably don't know about yet.
I'm sure you know how to cuss, prepare for a post graduate degree in it.

You are going to have order stuff to make the toolholders. While you are figuring out what you need, getting it ordered and then delivered to you, start practicing. I would plan on making 10 tool holders. A baker's dozen would be even better.

You are going to have order stuff to make the toolholders. While you are figuring out what you need, getting it ordered and then delivered to you, start practicing. I would plan on making 10 tool holders. A baker's dozen would be even better.

I've made about 20 for my shop made QCTP cost about $2 each. I make them from 1018 1x21/4" flat bar stock. I wonder how Aluminum would work?
toolpost1.jpg

Martik777 nice looking QCTP. I like the handle to tighten the tool holder. Looks like a norman style like I made. Have you made an angled tool holder? Very handy to get into tight places.

IMG_3767.JPG

That is where I got the inspiration to make them. I have made two so far. I made the second one so that it can be used either to the left or the right by changing which side you put the screws.

IMG_3769.JPG

Back