First mill chips

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Nothing of any consequence, just wanted to see how it felt.
Was all shaky till I remembered to tighten down the column bolts. Doh!
3/4” 4-flute end mill, mild steel, 5 thou DoC, 50% step over, unknown feed rate.
47201de8bcacdf8ded056bfa183ccb1a.jpg

Learned:
Need to tram!
Need sharp end mills
Cranking will get old...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, now we're talking! Just what I have been waiting to see! And the plus is before 11:30pm this time! You getting better already! :eagerness:

Get the DRO first, it makes life so much simpler and costs half of what a power feed does. I have been playing with the idea of a home brew power feed made from bits and pieces. With a little planning I think I can make it work.

I’m interested in how you rig up your feed.
DRO is on its way :D
I bought the unit in this thread. I exchanged pm’s with gravydog and decided it was what I was looking for.

Mounting 3-axis DRO to my Grizzly G1006 / RF-30 clone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seriously, you are off to a great start!

learn the difference between climb milling and conventional milling as in regards to your spindle rotation

remember this if nothing else-
climb milling is for only the lightest of finishing cuts
conventional milling hoggs of the material

seriously, you are off to a great start!

learn the difference between climb milling and conventional milling as in regards to your spindle rotation

remember this if nothing else-
climb milling is for only the lightest of finishing cuts
conventional milling hoggs of the material
Thanks @Ulma Doctor!

Definitely. I was hyper-aware of the rotation and feed direction so as to avoid a climb milling situation the first time out.

I recall the first time I ever climb milled with my router table. 10,000+ rpm in maple. That got real fast even though I thought I was completely prepared for it. o_O

Last edited:
How was tramming in the vise?

Back