First Projects

Monk

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
When I first started riding motorcycles in the late 60's, I always admired a custom (of sorts) Triumph stored in a room adjacent to one of our local dealerships. The son of the owner had taken on a project that involved turning and replacing all the cadium plated bolts with stainless steel ones. When my father gave me custody of his 1970 Bonneville a few years back, I decided to do the same as a part of the "freshening up" I planned for his well preserved favorite. While two or three suppliers advertised stainless cylinder studs and head bolts, all of them were "out of stock" once I had the heads and cylinders off the bike. I did what any sane person would do: bought a lathe and made my own (after about a year of reading and experimenting). I found that each project led to another, and another, and another. The original bolts were pretty well rusted up, so I turned and threaded four studs and for head bolts. Only three of each are shown here as I stopped to complete another project for my dad (an antique gun oiler grouped with the bolts below).
1Old Bolts.JPG2Stainless Bolts.JPG3New Bolts.JPG

Next, I replaced the hexagonal engine mounting stud nut, the rear brake rod, brake adjuster, and stoplight actuator rod with stainless parts.

4Engine Mount.JPG5Brake Adjuster.JPG6Brake light actuator.JPG

Then we needed a triple clamp bolt and acorn nut. Then we needed chain adjusters which precipitated the need for a rotary table and mill/drill (covered in another post about 6 months ago). The Bonny seems to be a perpetual project in progress, as does the need for additional machinery (the mill/drill's z axis limitations absolutely forced me to acquire a used Bridgeport :)) ).

7Triple Pinch.JPG9adjuster on.JPG10.JPG

The more I learn to do, the more amazed I am at how much more there is to learn (mostly, now, from the folks on this list. Thanks!).

2Stainless Bolts.JPG 1Old Bolts.JPG 3New Bolts.JPG 4Engine Mount.JPG 5Brake Adjuster.JPG 6Brake light actuator.JPG 7Triple Pinch.JPG 9adjuster on.JPG 10.JPG

Nothing better than putting your personnel touch on a project.Stainless steel helps to take it to the next level,very nice----kroll

Top notch there man. Nice bike. The thing about this trade/industry/hobby, that appeals to me more then anything... Every single day, for the rest of your life, there is something to learn. Provided a man retains a open mind in lieu of his ego.

Top notch there man. Nice bike. The thing about this trade/industry/hobby, that appeals to me more then anything... Every single day, for the rest of your life, there is something to learn. Provided a man retains a open mind in lieu of his ego.

It never stops Chuck, the only thing constant in this world is change, it never stops happening.

Nice work Monk. There is always a special sense of pride in the first projects you finish.

"Billy G"

Thanks, Bill. Those were the first projects, but they led to a few more. I started looking back through some folders on my computer after getting stalled on a Turner's Cube I'm attempting on my mill (Miller's Cube?), and found some things besides the machinist's vise I posted a while back. I'll post the ball turner this weekend. Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

Nice work on the bike. Learning new and different ways to do things is the best part of machining, whether it is a hobby or a job. One can learn for a lifetime and still have more to go.

Back