First surfacing tool: advice on indexable endmill

Thanks all. Are there any Ali Express sellers you guys have had luck with for basic endmills? My project calls for a shallow flat bottom 7/16" hole to mount a magnet, so I was going to look for a basic two flute.

I have purchased these Accusize / Northward(Accusize's premium line) face mills: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQFZDPU and they have been excellent. Some of the reviews indicate the same problem(s) that @davidpbest shows in his videos, so I ordered them one at a time and checked them out, prepared to return anything that wasn't 'right'. I don't know if I got lucky, or the manufacturer fixed a quality issue, but I ended up buying four sizes and both the mills and the inserts have been great.

GsT

I'm sure this is a vast simplification but if one is focused only on the quality of surfacing achievable with a typical Bridgeport/Enco style R8, ~2hp manual machine (no power feed in my case) over depth of cut or additional features such as shoulders: is a lower angle such as 45, 75 going to provide a head start?

I gave the AliExpress SEHT type tool a try. For under $45 delivered and two positive reviews here, it seemed worth a shot. Will let you all know how it works.

I gave the AliExpress SEHT type tool a try. For under $45 delivered and two positive reviews here, it seemed worth a shot. Will let you all know how it works.
Did you order the arbor?

First pass at some 6061. Some radial marks on a light cut, moving right to left at approx 1k RPM.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 19 2024, 4 30 18 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 19 2024, 4 30 18 PM.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Photo Jan 19 2024, 4 40 43 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 19 2024, 4 40 43 PM.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 33
First pass at some 6061. Some radial marks on a light cut, moving right to left at approx 1k RPM.
Looks like there may have been a little chip welding. Use WD-40 or kerosene and maybe slower feed.

Back