First threads!

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I had a few minutes today so I tried my hand at single point threading.
I wanted everything to happen slowly so I put the lathe in back gear and chose 10 TPI so I could see what was going on.
Had a spare piece of aluminum of no particular diameter and went for it.
Turned out spot on according to my thread checker.
The finish is crap because it was low speed on aluminum but I am quite thrilled because I didn’t crash and hit the mark on the thread dial every time.
I’m not sure why the first couple of threads look so crummy when the balance look semi-ok.

I got a bit muddled when I didn’t count my turns back out on the cross slide so I just went to the end and put the tool against the work and reset to zero and backed out again.

f3a65e7fce4835ceffeaac5e5c8b14de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you, I was wondering when that was going to occur!

I remember the first time I cut a thread — I must have done dry runs for about a week. At the lathe, sitting at my desk at work, watching tv, all the time working the sequence in my head and moving my hands. Still sweated like crazy the first time for real though!

Now — inside, outside, left hand right hand, whatever. Still want to try multi-start though, just to see it work.

Good job, David :encourage:

-frank

Thanks Frank, I’ve been doing exactly the same thing, rehearsing the moves.
I stood in front of the lathe for 15-20 minutes with it running doing all the movements running up to a magnet I put on the ways as a marker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, I almost had a good one, but my brain disconnected, and missed the engagement :p

Thanks guys, I wouldn't be here able to do this halfway right if it weren't for the encouragement and guidance from you good folks.

Back