Fitting to a backing plate

Thanks @Aaron_W I definitely plan to take it nice and slow and sneak up on the dimensions.

Do you have pictures of your progress?

Sorry no, I don't. I am once again in shop rearranging mode and have stuff piled in front of the lathe so I can't really take a photo either. The joys of having a Tetris shop.

I will warn you though, turning cast iron is like standing in front of a sand blaster. John "Benmychee" gave me a very valuable tip when turning cast iron. Get a cheap paint brush, (the chip brushes many hardware stores sell for a $1-2 work great) and hold it near the cut to deflect the chips downward instead of blasting right at your face. It made a huge difference, I can see what I'm doing now and my arms don't look like I have the measles (those chips are hot).

Thanks @Aaron_W, that’s great advice. I’m not looking forward to getting that mess all over my nice lathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aaron,
I see you spelled John’s handle wrong also. It’s a real twister.
One of these days I must ask him how he came up with the handle, Bemnychree???
Back to cast iron, the stuff makes a mess. It’s full of graphite and granular schmultz.

One of these days I must ask him how he came up with the handle, Bemnychree???
Name of multiple steam powered boats, ben-my-chree. John made and sold steam engines for boats commercially years ago. He also worked on the restoration of this boat, and filmed this video:

Name of multiple steam powered boats, ben-my-chree. John made and sold steam engines for boats commercially years ago. He also worked on the restoration of this boat, and took this video:

I googled the name and wondered if there was a connection.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve watched the videos twice.
What a great experience.
I would give my left peanut to be on that trip and be able to ask, what does this do and why is this here? How does this work??
Our friend John York is an encyclopedia of knowledge and experience

Back