[How do I?] Fix Lathe Runout When Turing Shafts

WoW! Thanks!
I stopped receiving notifications on #4 and decided to check back. I'm glad I did.
I'm very rusty and was never a journeyman but exposed to lots of the caliber of knowledge and abilities I'm finding here.

Good stuff. I was able to make a few passes within .00005 between ends measuring with a Starrett Digital mich.
I was also using a carbide insert. The shaft material is a little on the hard side.

I had swept the live center and it was dead on but moving the tail stock .00025 towards the bit got me much better.

We don't have HSS bits in the shop but that's going to change.
I need to hijack for one tid-bit I have forgotten = What differences in a bearing race fit do you shoot for when you want between a tight slip and a press on?

Here is my playground, there are two drill presses that did not get into the frame. I retired from industrial production maintenance in 2009 to do other things.
I came out of retirement to another company and found this shop un-kept, with rouges slipping in unauthorized and qualified reeking havoc.
After I turned out a few things they needed I was given ownership and permission to lock her down.
What you see is very clean in comparison to then. she is locked down now.
The vice has been replaced with a big Wilton I found wrapped in rags, stuffed into a box and hidden/staged deep in the dark for future extraction.

Thanks

machineshop_pano.jpg
nice shop ..... show off :0

There is something wrong with that shop: You can see the floor!!:)

I'd use a sharp HSS cutter for what you're doing. Carbide isn't as sharp(There are special varieties of carbide that are,but most aren't). Sharp HSS will give more sensitive cuts.

Back