Fix Or Junk Old Saw.

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, have a old Johnson B model horizontal band saw, that was looking at rebuilding but, all the guide bearings are shot, which is about $200 From Drake, plus the gears in the gear box are both shot, $285 for the set, then another $200 for seals and bearings. Then the Pulley on both the gear box and the motor are bad( although looking at a Treadmill motor conversion). Thus my question. Do I fix this old piece of iron or do I give up and purchase a HF or Griz horizontal band saw for a lot less than the cost of the parts for this one.
The main thing is the gears in the gear box, I do not have a way to cut gears like that or that size, the main gear is bronze and even the cost of a bronze blank that size would be a bunch of $ .

If I had it I would rebuild it. Mainly because it will cut pieces larger than my 4 x 6 HF one.

All the bearing on saw is off the shelf. The MFG will change for there name
They not hard to rebuild.
But if you have small shop and not cutting large part HF easy to come by saw blades and parts
The large part that can be cut on a HF and Grix is 8" wide by taking off the vise on the saw.
I have cut round bar stock on my old HF saw 6" diameter. FYI be for I had to rebuild sold got a new saw no rebuild need and low cost
Dave

Ok, have a old Johnson B model horizontal band saw, that was looking at rebuilding but, all the guide bearings are shot, which is about $200 From Drake, plus the gears in the gear box are both shot, $285 for the set, then another $200 for seals and bearings. Then the Pulley on both the gear box and the motor are bad( although looking at a Treadmill motor conversion). Thus my question. Do I fix this old piece of iron or do I give up and purchase a HF or Griz horizontal band saw for a lot less than the cost of the parts for this one.
The main thing is the gears in the gear box, I do not have a way to cut gears like that or that size, the main gear is bronze and even the cost of a bronze blank that size would be a bunch of $ .

Four questions that only you can answer, 1. How badly(quickly) do you need the saw? 2. Do you have time & place to do a rebuild? 3. Budget? 4. Are your quoted prices obtained by comparison shopping. Company I used to work for bought tools, bearings and parts on a three bid basis. I have occasionally done this and saved money. One auto parts store suprized me with low price on generic bearings.
Have a good day!
Ray

I have an import 4x6 and given the choice to keep my saw or rebuild theJohnson, I'd rather rebuild the Johnson. Bearings are cheap and I'll bet the gears are a stock item from one of the major gear suppliers. There are plenty of examples of home made blade guides for this saw on the net. When it's all said and done you would have a more capable saw for the same or less money.

I have been looking all over for gears for this old B model with a low serial, (1338), and the only place I have found for the gears has been either direct from the new company (drake) or from one company that also sells parts from them but at a discount. Since I have taken the thing apart I have been able to get the numbers off most of the old bearings and seals, and have found either direct replacements or like replacements for most of them. One seal I have found listed in TIMKEN but even from other forums no one has been ale to find it available anywhere, The only other problem one I have not found so far is the top bearing for the guides. Gaskets, I have cut gaskets before and still have punches etc to do that if need be, It is just the gears that are getting me.

I am not in a big need of it right now as I am working in AL most and so my 9inch band saw with a bimetal blade works for that, and a hacksaw or cut off disk works for the rest.

Any specs on the gears?
Spur, bevel, helical??
I'm to far away to be interested.
However, there are likely HM members who would be excited to buy the many pieces at scrap prices or some otherwise fair price, repair and reassemble.
It would be a huge gift for many of us.

Daryl
MN

I would rebuild it. There is a huge amount of satisfaction in rebuilding an old piece of equipment. Even if it doesn't turn out well, there is much to be learned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you considered a new gear box... Might be price competitive...
The downside is you may have to do a bit of creative adapting to fit it.

Your best bet for finding bearings and gears is to take the pieces you have to a bearing house like Motion Industries.
https://www.motionindustries.com/taxonomy/Bearings/browse/enhttps://

The number on the bearings is generic. Any company that makes the same bearing will have the exact same part number. However in many cases the exact replacement isn't necessary. The number on the bearing includes all the features like seal diameters, width, number of rollers or balls, internal and externals, shielding, type of lubrication, etc., etc.
will have
There are many variations of the same dimension bearings. Yours may be shielded. It may be easily be replaced by the exact same dimensional bearing that is sealed. The sealed bearing will carry a different number. A good bearing house will have the older IBI (International Bearing Institute) catalogs that will give all the different options available for every bearing in a given dimension.

As a side note several years ago I tried to rebuild an older Sears Craftsman snow blower. I ordered over 50 bushings, bearings, and sprocket from the part numbers in the owners manual. Unfortunately over the years the part numbers had been changed at least 3 times. When the parts arrived not one would fit the machine. I took what was left of the original parts to the local Motion Industries store and asked if they could identify them and provide replacement. It took less than a day to get all the parts identified and replaced. The best part is that the generic parts were less expensive than the ones from Sears that didn't fit.

Back