Fixing some inaccessible zerks on the tractor

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
My little POTD was to remove two pins on the loader bucket and drill deep holes in the end of the pins and
install zerks. The original zerks were located under the cylinder rams and after trying with all my grease guns
it was determined that the easy way was to relocate the zerks. P1030677.JPG
Next I need to reinstall the pins and shoot in some much needed grease. In the long run, the loader will thank me
for my efforts.

One of my pet peeves ,designers that build stuff that self destructs.

Are those pins soft steel?
They appear to be relatively soft in the scale of things. The drilling was uneventful so not a difficult
thing to do. When the hole gets deep, one needs to pull out the bit many times to remove the swarf
or risk breaking off the drill bit.

Today I moved dirt for about 5 hours and the machine was loving it. It's old but
pretty well refurbished so pretty happy about that. I have to give a lot of respect
to my Japanese TL3200 vintage 1985 or so tractor as it has been serving me well.
I could afford a brand new tractor but after an overhaul and a bunch of fixits it does
as well as any new Kubota. On the plus side, it has no computer and is owner
serviceable by me so have to give a huge thumbs up. I'm pretty sure if I buy another
tractor it will be older and needing some work. I'm busy moving a piece of road over
and shuffleing a lot of dirt in the process.

I’ve seen drilled pins fail at the drilled grease hole. Probably undersized pin, but I wouldn’t want to risk it. Much safer to add a grease hose or even better all zerks hoses into a bank of fittings.

Back