Flange Bearings

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought some Made in China flange bearings from Princess Auto. They have grease zerks. Why? There is no way for the grease to get in the bearing. Only between the race and housing. It is a sealed bearing. Is the grease zerk for looks to make them look higher end? Unless there is supposed to be a hole in the race for the grease to go through? There wasn't on these.
Martin

At least the larger ones do, not sure on the smaller ones.
I bought 1 3/4 ones for the shafts that the band wheels on my sawmill run on.
None of them survived.
Not a huge load for that large a bearing. 1400 pound blade tension so 2800 pound side load at 750 rpm.
When the first one failed replaced with the same, It lasted 20 minutes. Totally grenaded, inner and outer races shattered. Even stretched the cast housing.
Bought better quality ones, they've run for years.

Greg

At least the larger ones do, not sure on the smaller ones.
I bought 1 3/4 ones for the shafts that the band wheels on my sawmill run on.
None of them survived.
Not a huge load for that large a bearing. 1400 pound blade tension so 2800 pound side load at 750 rpm.
When the first one failed replaced with the same, It lasted 20 minutes. Totally grenaded, inner and outer races shattered. Even stretched the cast housing.
Bought better quality ones, they've run for years.

Greg
That’s what I’m using them for! Maybe I should just get good ones now.save some grief.
Martin

I think their idea is to be able to keep the gimbal effect of the housing to be able to self align working good. I also have seen really old flange bearings with functional grease zerks still going strong where the sealed bearing destroyed themselves in relative short order. It’s why I would rotate the bearing in the housing and see if had the hole in the bearing for grease. If it didn’t it got chucked.

That’s what I’m using them for! Maybe I should just get good ones now.save some grief.
Martin
Back when I was messing with that type of bearing you could get just the bearing and reuse the housing. Probably isn’t the same with the import bearings.

Martin
The housings are standard size, so better bearings can be used if you have the same problems.
Think I used their 620? bearings for the blade guides. They've held up well, running at about 5000 fpm on the OD probably about 2000 rpm but again very little load.
How big a mill are you planning? Inquiring minds need to know lol
Built mine thinking it would get used once in a while, I've never cut a tree to saw but am sawing steady with logs people give me. Have 13 Red Oak sitting from last fall that need to be quarter sawn.

Greg

The housings are standard size, so better bearings can be used if you have the same problems.
Think I used their 620? bearings for the blade guides. They've held up well, running at about 5000 fpm on the OD probably about 2000 rpm but again very little load.
How big a mill are you planning? Inquiring minds need to know lol
Built mine thinking it would get used once in a while, I've never cut a tree to saw but am sawing steady with logs people give me. Have 13 Red Oak sitting from last fall that need to be quarter sawn.

Greg
Hi Greg, your mill is awesome.
20240416_174544.jpegI’ve spent most of the winter messing with this. It’s hard because I’m still busy at work and don’t have the time to spend like I’d like. I’ve got a 14 hp Wisconsin engine for it, Standard 1-1/4” blade, I think is 156”.Track is 24’ long.
Takes a while to gather up all the bits and pieces.
Working on the blade rollers now and the idler bearing to engage the blade. Need to get it painted soon so it doesn’t rust until I can get a cover or roof over it. Tired of moving it back and forth in the shop20240303_143405.jpeg20240128_153638.jpeg20240128_184333.jpeg20240128_184323.jpeg20240416_174416.jpeg20240416_174546.jpeg

It's looking great Martin. The Wisconsin should make a great engine for it. Im running a 13 Hp diesel, no lack of power.
Rebuilt an old Wisconsin off a bailer planning to run my firewood processor with it. Now it sits ready to go, lacking a project for the time being. Does yours have electric start? Mine doesn't. No ring gear.

Greg

Back