Floor coatings?

My first garage (about 30 years ago ) I had the masons power trowel it . Then after 30 days used a Benjamin Moore 1 part epoxy , the instructions had you thin the first coat to get into the pores the 2 full coats . The problems with that - "hot tire pick-up" pretty much from the beginning , then years later for the road salts and brime but those were only under where the cars sat everywhere else looked pretty good though like what was said you have to be careful welding and burning because it will burn into it . Depends where you live it does condensate bad on those winter days that go from cold and dry to warm and moist . I've had to squeegee and mop it dry just so we wouldn't fall !! I didn't have any machines at that house in the garage . The house we moved last year the garage was about 50 years old and had a very dirty , hand finished , crack , floor after cleaning and prepping used a Behr primer & latex one coat epoxy , this doesn't seem like it will hold up as well , spots that brakeclean hit peeled pretty quick and now have a mill and lathes but so far having mats in front of the machines seem to help . Because most of what I do is repairing I like a bright floor and if I had a separate area for machines I would still paint the floor , if there was a welding area I would just seal it with a clear only if it was power troweled .

I have always used Water Glass . It's clear but it's great stuff. Easy to apply reasonable and has proven to me buy about 50 years of use. It's even a good additive to concrete itself. it's good for many things.

Make sure it is 100% Sodium Silicate. and it is mixed 4 or 5 to 1 (I forget which).

Like this.

Last edited:
I have heavy duty epoxy flooring installed. It looks awesome and is highly resistant. I would never put anything on the workshop/garage floor.

1st: It installs really easy once the concrete floor is properly prepared: it must be dead flat without cracks or dings. The finish quality of the epoxy will mirror the concrete floor finish quality.

2nd: if you do not have a vapor barrier installed under the concrete floor you must choose a water based epoxy system. This will allow water vapor to pass through otherwise the epoxy will blister with time

3rd: take care of the color. I chose a lovely yellow and not the mosquitos love to land on the floor and never fly away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back