Floor Finish

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm planning on building a stand alone shop on my property. It will have a concrete floor. What's the good, better, and best way to finish it?

Trip---Can you give me more info on EUCO DIAMOND HARD?

I'll second the Euco Diamond Hard. Only downside is if your floor is troweled smooth and gets wet it's like you are on ice skates!

I've never seen the Diamond Hard, will look into it if I build something new some day.

Much can be said about cement finishes, if you're doing it from scratch and can call out the finish so it has some grip when wet or oily that would be great. An awful lot of people go through the time and expense of doing special epoxy coatings that either don't last or make the surface worse when wet/oily. If you just have a regular floor Thompsons will keep it from getting too stained without making it more slippery.

This is definitely one area you can overthink, it's a shop floor afterall. Most important is relatively level and strong, drain is nice too if you can get away with it.

John

I definitely do not want a slippery finish but I want one that is easy to sweep and not take on too much grease and oil stain. The concrete guy is an expert and a friend so I'll get his input.

I'll be putting a lot of effort (and money) into this build so I want something that looks good. I can put a drain in, but should I? Won't that make it more difficult to level the machines?

My next question will be about wall treatments. This will be a Johnson metal building. It will have a 12' rollup door, a man door, skylights and a few windows.

I can put a drain in, but should I? Won't that make it more difficult to level the machines?
A floor is never perfectly level, and you will still have to level the machines anyway. As long as the slope is not too steep, there is no problem. Doesn't take much slope for liquids to run down hill.

Etch the floor and coat with the epoxy paint of your choice. I used Valspar 20 years ago on my automotive/machine shop floor. It's been through Hell and back. Still looks good.......................Bob

Be sure to check your local building codes about a floor drain.

Back