Floor jack pad extension

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Since owning my low rise auto lift I’ve needed a way to support things while making repairs, holding up an exhaust was one . At that time I used a 4x4 block on end which did the job but i did knock the jack &block out at least once . Yesterday i was changing the rear shocks on my wife’s SUV and needed to raise the suspension up slightly to get a bolt aligned. I figured it was time to come up with something. First I had to make the original swivel pad on jack easily removable. It uses the pad leveling link pin to capture the pad . Removed the pin enough to get the pad off then reinstall. I set the pad on the mill and milled a flat enough to drop the pad back on and by turning slightly it will stay like it was . Thinking of different designs I decided I would make an adapter pin to match the jack at one side and my Pota-Power parts on the other. This give me different length tubes and ends . I made a thick washer to give the adapter some extra support , welded it on and turned off the excess weld . Speaking of that weld , which was done with my mig , it was very had to machine .I have no idea what type of steel I used but both the pin and washer didn’t seem to machine hard . Could the way I cooled off , water cooled after I left it sit for about 10 minutes ? Anyway it worked great and should be much easier on jobs needed an extra support

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1217.jpeg
    IMG_1217.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1218.jpeg
    IMG_1218.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1215.mov
    2.1 MB
What a great idea. Much better than hardwood blocks .
How do you like your low rise lift?
Martin

Great idea! It’s always been a pain to jack or block once on a lift. Personally the next thing I’d be working on is some way to lock the wheels on the jack. They move when you don’t want them to and don’t move when you need them to move.
be safe.

Since the wheels of the jack always find the one pebble I missed while sweeping, it seems they would be totally blocked by a mini-wheel chock.
You could make it out of about anything but a small triangle shape of thick rubber would work well.
Whatever you make, glue a small magnet on it so they can be stored on the jack itself.

I got a few of these when I moved from the scissor lift to the MiniMax... but sometimes the legs would get in the way for specific locations...

Jack Tube Stand.jpg

So I also got one of these for when that happened:

Pole Jack Stand.jpg

Never crossed my mind to just make something like what you did... That would have worked just fine...

The low rise is better then the jack stands I used to use . Not at nice compared to a full height but with 9’ ceiling thats about the limit anyway . With the low rise I can sometimes sit on a creeper but a tilting one is almost a must . I modified a creeper to tilt but it’s a work in progress. I’ve used tilting creepers at work and wasn’t impressed with them nor the over $200 price .

Back