Floor Mats

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
For you guys with "real" cushioned floor mats, do you find them worthwhile? I've been using runners fiberglass kitchen, very tough and surprisingly cushy..... compresses +/- .030 ish. Poured concrete floor btw.

Anyway, opinions regarding the value of "U-Line Grade" mats are welcome! They ain't cheap, but I'm getting old and my dogs aren't real happy.

My preference was the solid cushion mat, the ones with holes were too stiff, and the holes were harder to get swarf out of. When I got my rolling chair, I took the mat out.

i've been using harbor freight for 6 or 7 years and they have no blemishes just stains.

I just got home from a few day's away and found a pool of black ugly oil in front of my lathe, it turns out it was from a gel filled fatigue mat a friend gave me about a year ago. I liked the way it felt but not very durable. I'd stay away from gel mats in the shop.

Looks like Tractor Supply has something similar. They are quite heavy, over 90 lbs. I will go check one out, next time I'm nearby.

I've used the platform out of a treadmill. One of the many useful parts off of a free CL treadmill.

For you guys with "real" cushioned floor mats, do you find them worthwhile? I've been using runners fiberglass kitchen, very tough and surprisingly cushy..... compresses +/- .030 ish. Poured concrete floor btw.

Anyway, opinions regarding the value of "U-Line Grade" mats are welcome! They ain't cheap, but I'm getting old and my dogs aren't real happy.
I’ve had this mat for a couple of years: comfy, can be rolled up if needed and swarf vacuums off easily. I got mine on sale (IIRC only paid around $30 on sale).

I'm using the harbor freight interlocking floor mats and they are much better than standing on concrete. The negatives: the inserts used to provide a smooth edge are pretty easy to disengage from the mat. Some duct tape on the back will address that. The other negative is that the mat is soft enough that swarf can become embedded in the mat if you step on it. The ones I have, one in front of the lathe and the other in front of the mill, are 5YO and still going strong. They regularly go on sale, too.

Back