Flycutter and 0.40mm TiR?

something must have moved
It appears that the back side of your cutter is closer to the table than the front side. This indicates that the spindle is not square (perpendicular) with/to the table. If this is so, the spindle is out of "tram."

If the bearings are the tapered roller type then they should be adjustable. If they are ball bearings then usually not.
The top at least is a ball bearing.

DSC_0422_copy_800x450.jpg

Since for quill operation the black section pictured above freely slides inside the silver sleeve held by the circle-clip, I'm now thinking that because of that some play in the top (fixed) section is inevitable, and causes the runout that I measured there. It gets actually smaller closer to the bottom.

Clamping hollow material can be dangerous though, be careful.
I'm very concerned about safety. The work is fastened to the cross-slide with T-bolts. Incidentally that is also its final destination - a makeshift support for something that I will show in another posting.

DSC_0423_copy_800x450.jpg

It appears that the back side of your cutter is closer to the table than the front side.

I'm not sure why you say that. The cutting edge is on the left in the picture, and much closer to the work. The top edge is horizontal and parallel to the cross slide.

DSC_0419_copy_800x450_copy_294x285.jpg

However I have then seen that since a fly cutter has the cutting edge inline on with its center, the back of the tool runs outside the circle if a relief for that is not ground, thing that I did then, as well honing a small radius on the nose. Ran a minimal cut it again with some spray fluid and I can barely feel the marks with a finger, so I'm OK with the result.

DSC_0424_copy_800x450.jpg

Last edited:
Most flycutters I have seen hold the bit at an angle so that only the tip needs to be sharpened and the rear of the tool clears automatically- Yours may be different
-M
Bolting the workpiece down is certainly safe- I didn't know if you were using a vise or not

Regarding that top part with the wrench flats: Is that really the spindle or the spindle cap that attaches to the spindle? If it is the spindle cap, runout would be unimportant except for vibration maybe.
Robert

Most flycutters I have seen hold the bit at an angle so that only the tip needs to be sharpened and the rear of the tool clears automatically- Yours may be different
The blank tool (on the left) comes cut to neutral rake, but you still need to grind back relief angle. Indeed the under relief that I ground is not necessary.

DSC_0425_copy_2515x1395_copy_800x444.jpg

Regarding that top part with the wrench flats: Is that really the spindle or the top hat that attaches to the spindle? If it is the top hat, runout would be unimportant.
The hat. As explained above, I came to the same conclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwm
Back