Foley Belsaw Model 380 Tool Grinder

OK, the grinder is working. My first use was to grind some 120 degree "flats" on the larger drill shanks. For drills 1/2" and over the flats are nice to have. I had a bit of a learning curve, you cannot grind too much at one time! I set the work-head with an indicator to move at a perfect 90 degree angle with respect to the face of the cup wheel.
I also marked the three index positions with a permanent marker pen. Put the drill in the proper collet and set the grind to very light. Here is 9/16" drill that I put flats on. I could not do this without a lot of fuss on the mill.

shank1.jpg shank2.jpg

This post is a little old but I have my Foley set up to sharpen both horizontal and vertical milling cutters. I can't post pictures yet but I have one handy of the horizontal cutter sharpener. I used parts of a spin index and a Gingery cross slide for the vertical cutter sharpener.

The photos posted appear to be a "sharp all" not the 380, but it appears to have a good set up. I don't have that machine.
I have the 380 and since the weather has been kind of cold for a while, I decided to wait till it warmed up to start working with it. I am still not very clear as to how to employ the dial indicator so that I can set up the machine accurately. I don't have any machinists training. I am simply learning this by trial and error and looking at the books I can find.
Trim sends

I see my confusion. The picture posted by FOMOGO was a machine like mine and jumped to the conclusion that it was a 380. I'm no expert but for my purposes, I can set it up so each cutting surface is the same without using a dial indicator. I don't know how a 380 works. My machine was made to sharpen saw blades for wood. It is not a precision machine. The cutters cut after being sharpened. The SharpAll didn't cost me anything so it is worth more than I paid for it.

Won't be back home until the end of April, so no progress yet. Will post as soon as I get a chance to take a good look at it. Things are good here, but getting tired of doing concrete and plastering work. It has convinced me though, that I will definitely be subbing out the 110 sheets of 4x12 5/8" rock and finishing for the new shop. I've had a hard time saying I'm too old to do somethings, but I'm slowly coming to that inevitable conclusion.:) Cheers, Mike

FOMOGO,
I have been studying the picture here and can identify several of the machines, but none that I see is the 374 or the 380. The machine in front is a sharpening machine but I can't tell you which one although I think it is one of the "later models". The one to the right of it looks like the 387 automatic filer. The one immediately behind it looks like the 357 and the one behind that on a stand, I don't know about.

Have you been able to work with your machine yet? How is it going?
Cheers,
Trim sends

Back