For a lathe what type of DRO should I get?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Glass? Magnetic? Looking for an inexpensive unit.....

I got my DRO for my mill from AliExpress. AliExpress DRO

For the money, it is very good. Yes, there are more expensive units out there but this works for me. My only complaint is the display. The Yellowish numbers are hard to see for me. The more expensive ones have better displays, like this one...Siton Tech DRO

I bought glass scales and they work fine. Try and get the correct size because cutting them is slightly risky, although it can be done with a rotary tool and a diamond wheel. Here is a link to my mill install (I know, you have a lathe). PM-833T DRO Install

Glass scales are less expensive upfront, but after having to replace the scales on both my mill and lathe, I’d go with magnetic scales if I was buying a new DRO.

For a lathe, you may want to get the 1 micron scales instead of the more commom 5 micron scales. The reason is in the x axis on the lathe, it is common to measure diameter rather than radius as it tells you directly how much stock is removed. Thus, the resolution of a 5 micron scalwe is actually 10 microns or .0004". The resolution of the 1 micron scale is 2 microns or .00008".

For a lathe, you may want to get the 1 micron scales instead of the more commom 5 micron scales. The reason is in the x axis on the lathe, it is common to measure diameter rather than radius as it tells you directly how much stock is removed. Thus, the resolution of a 5 micron scalwe is actually 10 microns or .0004". The resolution of the 1 micron scale is 2 microns or .00008".
1 micron scale not usually needed on the Z axis, but helps accuracy considerably on the X axis. It is often possible to purchase scales with different resolution for different axes.

If Z axis is the long feed (carriage)
and X axis is the cross feed
What is Y-- the compound? Height of tool?

Z is the spindle centerline. X is the major axis 90 degrees to Z. Y is the minor axis 90 degrees to Z. For any machine. That is a long held convention. Reality -- you can call any axis anything you want, and lots of machinists do so. It is common with CNC machines. It is actually easier to say left, right, up, down, in, and out -- and forget the alphabet. The goal is useful communication...

1 micron scale not usually needed on the Z axis, but helps accuracy considerably on the X axis. It is often possible to purchase scales with different resolution for different axes.

This is exactly what I did when I ordered the EL400 for my 1340. The 1 micron scale on X really helps when I need to be as accurate as I can.

Back