For lathe, M-DRO or DRO PROS?

I forgot to mention that my lathe is a 1460 so the longer scale is somewhat custom for M-DRO I gather. shouldn't add that much I wouldn't think.

I recommend the Machine DRO UK ES-12B and magnetic scales, much better unit for about the same price. You can get a 3rd axis for not much more. You specify the scale lengths and resolutions you need, the magnetic scales they are easier to install and cut to size. I also would recommend 3 axis and add the tailstock DRO. Reason for 1 uM scale on the cross slide is because in diameter mode you need the added resolution, but you do not need that in the long axis and the 1 uM adds more zeros. Note the ES-12B X axis changes to yellow in diameter mode which is what is commonly used on the lathe. You build the package you want with Machine DRO UK. A simple Tach can be made for not much, if you want SFM then the I use the Tachulator and do a custom housing/install with magnetic pickup as opposed to optical. You only would need a tach if you are using a VFD. DRO Pros will be much more expensive for either the EL-400 or EL-700 with magnetic scales.

Below is a simple tach. display with speed pot. I did for a 1660 lathe control system. I rarely use the SFM, only for large diameter work and easy enough to use online calculators or cheat sheet.

Acra 1660TE Lathe Control System 1.jpg

TouchDRO version has tachometer ability built into it, add sensor.. No need to add separate display.
Also, as a plus, I use my android tablet for touchDRO, and its a fully capable computer, and I use it to get radio over the internet.
Just sayin

thanks mksj. I had read good things about the Easson set. I need to know more about the RPM/FPM thing you posted. that would be awesome.

The TouchDRO adapters work with Magnetic or Glass scales, and have tachometer & edge finder inputs so everything is one a single screen:

20240522 TDRO Screen.png
Yes, this display is for a Vertical Mill, but the lathe is similar (just fewer Axes, although you can add the Compound and Tail Stock if you want). I agree with @rabler that there is more value to having a full-blown DRO setup on a mill, but it is very handy having the diameter readout for the cross slide and being able to see where the tool bit is in Z (carriage) for features and cut-off.

Last edited:
I recommend the Machine DRO UK ES-12B and magnetic scales, much better unit for about the same price. You can get a 3rd axis for not much more. You specify the scale lengths and resolutions you need, the magnetic scales they are easier to install and cut to size. I also would recommend 3 axis and add the tailstock DRO. Reason for 1 uM scale on the cross slide is because in diameter mode you need the added resolution, but you do not need that in the long axis and the 1 uM adds more zeros. Note the ES-12B X axis changes to yellow in diameter mode which is what is commonly used on the lathe. You build the package you want with Machine DRO UK. A simple Tach can be made for not much, if you want SFM then the I use the Tachulator and do a custom housing/install with magnetic pickup as opposed to optical. You only would need a tach if you are using a VFD. DRO Pros will be much more expensive for either the EL-400 or EL-700 with magnetic scales.

Below is a simple tach. display with speed pot. I did for a 1660 lathe control system. I rarely use the SFM, only for large diameter work and easy enough to use online calculators or cheat sheet.

View attachment 490975
see, this is why I posted. great input. you are right, the FPM is not hard to calculate. I'll look into the British website tomorrow. thanks!

For a lathe, I’d recommend a 1um scale on the cross-slide. On both my lathes I tossed the light duty aluminum covers for the cross slide and made something sturdy. The supplied covers don’t appear like they’d survive having a piece of stock bigger than 1” diameter fall a few inches into them.

I just installled a SINO KA200 1um glass scale (this is pretty tiny) on the tailstock side of the Takisawa cross slide, and also considered the cover kind of flimsy. It looks fine for swarf protection and while I was not too worried about falling heavy material I use a Geometric die head for threading fairly frequently...and that needs to pull/bump the tailstock into the carriage to open the chasers and stop the cut at an exact spo. So I added a bolt below the scale tapped into the carriage and set just long enough that the tailstock will hit that and not the scale. Works fine.

not sure why if 1um is better that they don't use it for both. my ignorance is showing.
You could but the 1um cost more. On a lathe cross slide, one unit of motion on the slide means 2 units of difference in the size (radius verses diameter). So you need twice the resolution. Also, commonly length tolerances (carriage) are more forgiving than diameter tolerances, as the diameter gets involved in mating to bearing, interference vs slip fits, etc.

I sent a quote request to Machine-DRO in England this morning. I also spoke to a salesperson at M-DRO SRA in the US. she said they couldn't help me as I need a 60" scale in Z axis. I was surprised but said OK thanks.

I suspect that the quote will be surprisingly close to the price of the DRO PROS 14x60 EL400 1UM/5UM package as the 60" scale and 1UM X scale are upgrades with Machine-DRO.

Back