For lathe, M-DRO or DRO PROS?

yota

Registered
Registered
I did a search of the site, but no discussions I could find that was less than 2 or 3 years old. looking at 2 axis systems. been doing a lot of reading, been on both of their websites, seem very similar to me as far as tech goes. for M-DRO, was looking at the SRA Shops website, not the British one. M-DRO is about half the price. and I like the metal case on the M-DRO display console for some reason. MDRO supplies full length covers and as far as I can tell DRO PROS does not. looks like DRO PROS has a better warranty, on paper anyway. any input would be appreciated.

I'm 72, and I have a android tablet.. With any system, you still have to install scales, learn user interface.. etc
Not any more of a pain than other DROs.. They all have learning curves.
I love touchDRO. You dont have to use all the features, just the ones you need.
If you do YouTube, theres bunch of videos on DROs..
I know, seems overwhelming at first, but makes life much easier with a DRO

I put very basic DRO set ups on my lathe and mill a few years ago. recently got a new to me bigger lathe and want a better system. pretty much have drilled down to these 2. I do appreciate you taking the time to post your input though.

I’m not sure you’re likely to find someone who’s used both extensively. I just installed another EL-400 2-axis from Dropros on my 2nd lathe. Is it better or worth the cost over m-dro? I am not sure. I was happy enough with the first, and since I’m keeping both lathes, I like having the same features/functions/layout. It was definitely pricey though. If I was to redo both I’d look at something cheaper.

I’m 60, spent my whole life with computers and networking and all the tech stuff. Doesn’t mean I want that in my lathe, or car. There is some merit to the Kiss principle (keep it simple stupid). I think a mill is a lot better candidate for a feature rich dro. Just my thoughts. Lots of people happy with touchdro, or discounted units from retail websites (amazon, aliexpress, etc).

For a lathe, I’d recommend a 1um scale on the cross-slide. On both my lathes I tossed the light duty aluminum covers for the cross slide and made something sturdy. The supplied covers don’t appear like they’d survive having a piece of stock bigger than 1” diameter fall a few inches into them.

A bit unclear as to which specific display and type of scales you are interested in. Multiple people have purchased form Machine DRO in the UK and they air ship there DRO's arrive in about 1 week. I have also bought magnetic scales from SRA, which are the the same as sold form M-DRO (UK). I also have done installs and own the EL-700 from DRO Pros. They are very good but also expensive and the EL-700 is a touch screen which is a bit of a PTA with greasy/wet fingers. I have installed all these as well as other brands, my preference on the lathe is more of a simpler DRO, but I do find that the newer graphical color displays are much easier to read and less effected by reflections/sunlight shining on the display then the LED displays. Quite a few people have gone with the ES=12B with magnetic scales from Machine DRO in the UK, they basically will put together a package that fits your needs as to lengths and resolutions. You want a 1 uM scale on the cross slide and 5 uM is fine for the bed/long axis. I use the 3 channel version and have the 3rd axis on the tailstock which I really like. SRA is more expensive, also worth looking at is the Aikron DRO, there are a few people that have installed them and seem to like them. I would not recommend the Ditron with magnetic scales, a lot have people have reported poor resolution/accuracy with their magnetic scales.

I should add that you are better off making your own mounting brackets.

Easson 12B.jpg
20190315_225632.jpg

Reactions: rwm
thanks for your input rabler. I think of the covers more to keep chips and oil at bay than armor. I know the DRO Pros unit I'm looking at has 1um at the cross slide and 5um at the carriage. not sure why if 1um is better that they don't use it for both. my ignorance is showing.

A bit unclear as to which specific display and type of scales you are interested in. Multiple people have purchased form Machine DRO in the UK and they air ship there DRO's arrive in about 1 week. I have also bought magnetic scales from SRA, which are the the same as sold form M-DRO (UK). I also have done installs and own the EL-700 from DRO Pros. They are very good but also expensive and the EL-700 is a touch screen which is a bit of a PTA with greasy/wet fingers. I have installed all these as well as other brands, my preference on the lathe is more of a simpler DRO, but I do find that the newer graphical color displays are much easier to read and less effected by reflections/sunlight shining on the display then the LED displays. Quite a few people have gone with the ES=12B with magnetic scales from Machine DRO in the UK, they basically will put together a package that fits your needs as to lengths and resolutions. You want a 1 uM scale on the cross slide and 5 uM is fine for the bed/long axis. I use the 3 channel version and have the 3rd axis on the tailstock which I really like. SRA is more expensive, also worth looking at is the Aikron DRO, there are a few people that have installed them and seem to like them. I would not recommend the Ditron with magnetic scales, a lot have people have reported poor resolution/accuracy with their magnetic scales.

I should add that you are better off making your own mounting brackets.

View attachment 490968
View attachment 490969
thanks mksj. I had read good things about the Easson set. I need to know more about the RPM/FPM thing you posted. that would be awesome.

this is the unit I was looking at from SRA. https://www.sra-shops.com/catalog/p...mm-and-750mm-cut-to-length-magnetic-encoders/

Back