For the 3D Printing crowd.

Don't get me wrong, this is interesting to me. And I'm learning a lot here; thanks for the education. Now a question. How bad can I get burned buying a used machine?
Now a word about the "momentary micro-switches". I've looked all over the interweb, and for my project 3/4" diameter hole to mount one is not "micro". Hence the need for the cartoon part I sketched. I now realize I may have to buy/trade in-to a set of late model controls/master cylinder used on '90 year Harleys.
All due to the joys of owning a basket case bike.

I’ll just add that tou can buy universal handle bar switches pretty cheaply: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_fro...7.m570.l1313&_nkw=handlebar+switches&_sacat=0

There’s nearly endless options for single switches or multiple switch mounts. Bery similar in design to what you are thinking of printing.
Thanks for that; I may have found a solution to my insanity...depending on the reply from the seller.
And this was something I really appreciated. Might wind up moving the bench vice to the kitchen table to make room on the workbench! :)

Thanks for that; I may have found a solution to my insanity...depending on the reply from the seller.

And this was something I really appreciated. Might wind up moving the bench vice to the kitchen table to make room on the workbench! :)
I just used an ebay search because it was convenient. Theres lots of other sellers out there that offer the same/similar products.

Last edited:
Don’t think your custom fine looking bike is a basket case anymore. Good job building her.

LOL you have no idea! Try mounting a working electric starter on a 1956 Panhead motor. But I love it. And I ride it. Not a garage queen. Close up you'll find nicks and scratches, oil leakage, you name it. The older "grey beard" crowd will look at it, then ask me if I'm stupid for doing a particular thing.

Oh I have a good idea the work that goes into building bikes from various parts. Been doing it for about 50 years. First was a 45 HD motor into a old ridged triumph rolling frame. My dad hated motorcycles soon as I left for basic in 70 it went to dump. Was kinda ******. Know you’re proud of YOUR bike.

For general reference as I know there are lots of people new the 3D printing here:

Design for manufacture is important here. Print it with layer lines running through it horizontally and it'll fail very quickly. Print it with them running as though a section through the left hand drawing and it'll be pretty strong. Layer adhesion is always the weak point in 3DP.
This means you need to print it on its side, so for ease of printing, have one side flat so it'll sit on the build plate without support. Having radii on the edges is ok; they'll print fine so long as the layers aren't too course and there are enough wall lines. I'd print a little hotter than usual to get the best adhesion possible, accepting the slight loss in quality which is easily cleaned up with some sanding.

A good job for a 3D printed part :)
Yeah I second that, design is key. This taillight assembly on my California Vintage Guzzi jumped shipped because the stamped metal gauge was too thin and the railroad light canister just bounced itself free on the road. I had this printed at work on a Mark Forged carbon fiber plastic printer. Making sure the taillight assembly was now cushioned on the top of the box and that there was plenty of radii to choke a horse.

1674905995972.png
1674906254891.png

thats usually either because they didn’t think of it or they can’t do it.

Screw anyone who tries to tear someone else down because its “not the way I would do it”….
Keeping those who "know" a thing can't be done away from those who are doing it is a constant battle.

Back