Forced into new CAD System (could be a good thing)

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have been using Autocad products since the early 1980's when the first version was available for the then new IMB PC platform (ACAD and ACAD286). For the last 10 years I have been using ACAD 12. I have gotten very comfortable with this version and drawing in 3D.
then disaster struck when I had to re-install ACAD 12 a few days ago due to a computer issue. When I got it installed and entered my license #. It would not Authorize. It appears that it is no longer supported and they don't want me to keep using it. I could go on a rant here but instead I used this as an opportunity to install Fusion 360. I was pretty discouraged at the long road of learning a complex piece of software that I had ahead of me.

Fast forward 4 days and while it has been somewhat intense, I have completed a design that I had started in ACAD12. By no means have I got it all figured out, but I am much further along than I expected. In fact, I am already finding some things I like better and can get meaningful work done.

I was dragged into 3D CAD kicking and screaming all the way. Like you, I had been using ACAD 2000 for years and it wouldn't install on my new computer. So a few years ago I switched over to Fusion 360. Things that sometimes took hours in ACAD can be done in minutes in Fusion. There is a learning curve, but well worth it. Having the built in CAM is really helpful also.

Having said that, NanoCAD 5 is pretty much a clone of ACAD and is free. I was making drawings in it in about 5 minutes after installing it. I still use it for some things that Fusion does not do well, like electrical schematics.

I use DipTrace for schematics and board layouts. So I am good there. I heard about NanoCAD but was hesitant about spending time on something with little or no track record. Possibly next year when the bill for Fusion360 comes due again ...

I have been using Bobcad for my CAM and it had a steep learning curve but is also pricy so I am hoping that fusion360 CAM will fill the gap.

[rant] Fusion360, ACAD, Lightburn, inckscape, bobCAD, DipTrace, Ultimaker, Adobe (suite). All CAD or CAM, All different, All optimized differently so it is hard to reduce. with Fusion, I probably can get rid of ACAD and probably BobCAD. Possibly Ultimaker so this is a possive thing but still WAY TOO MANY applications to do variations on the same thing. [/rant]

Sorry if this is a highjack.

I have a question on Fusion 360. I only have a 12 year old MacBook. It will not run Fusion. I do not have the funds to invest in a new MacBook. My daughter bought a Chrome book a few years back. She loves that and for $200. I was wondering if Fusion would run on one of those. I could swing purchasing something in that price range.

I use MasterCam2023 at work. However I really would like to have design abilities at home. Other suggestions welcome.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Changing CAD programs would not be good for me. 25 years using Solidworks and being 70 years old makes the thought of changing CAD tools unacceptable. I'll buy a seat of SWx to replace the one I'm borrowing now to avoid making a change. I seem to be allergic to ACAD products so any clones would be NFG.........

Where I work we are using ACAD 2014, this was the last version that did not require annual payments. It was last summer that AutoDesk stopped allowing you to install older versions that you "own". At work they bought a new workstation for every engineer and installed it with ACAD 2014 and then put them away. This is the safety net in case any of the computers dies. Just grab another out of the closet.

Fusion 360 is still an AutoDesk product. I am sure that at some point when the free user base is big enough it will stop being free to hobbyists just like SolidWorks did. Fusion is already starting to trim features from the free version.

Sorry for the rant.......

SWx does not require annual maintenance payments unless you want to continue to run the latest versions. I'm running SWx 2016, 2017 & 2018 on my old Win7 workstation. Starting with v2019 you had to be running Win10. Of course you are not going to be exchanging files with folks running newer versions because they change the file format every year. I don't care about that so running an old version is fine.

My installs are under the SWx flex license program. Each time you load the software it attempts to verify your license and check that yours is the only one running under your (shared) serial number. Since I don't have the workstation connected to the internet, it just loads as normal after a short time trying to do the verification. If/when I buy a seat, it won't be a flex license...........

I have an old Win XP system with Autocad 2000 education edition. It is the only reason it is still windows!

OMG, I just learned how to make a 2D drawing set for my 3D model Soooo much better than in ACAD. Also just did an expanded view of the model and put it in the drawing set. 15 minutes of work vs hours to do the same thing in ACAD and NO REWORK when I make changes to the model.
This is SWEET.

I have not tried any architectural drawings yet but I am sure that will come up in short order.

I bought a seat of SolidWorks Standard in 2012, having used it in relation to work since 2004. I have both 2010 and 2012 loaded on my computer and actually do most of my work with 2010. I own my seat outright (except for the lack of being able to sell to another party) and don't bother with annual updates. Most of my use is in isolation and my versions will handle almost anything that I want to do. The lack of forward/backward communication is irritating (I am unable to save to a previous version and can't open future versions). McMaster Carr has a huge library of 3D cad models of parts that they sell. A few years back, they upped the version of SolidWorks files which means I can't open them. I can still download an IGES file format but because I am using the standard version, I can't import features so the file comes in as a simple part. One of the tricks that I would use was to import a part, e.g. a socket head cap screw or a gear, and modify the features of the part to create the part that I needed. This saved considerable time in creating complex parts. I have a limited work around Where I will cut the feature that I wish to change out of the downloaded part and recreate the feature to meet my needs.

When Fusion was introduced, I specifally asked the presenters if they intended to keep the full featured version free forever to hobbyists, educators, and startups grossing less than $100K/yr and was emphatically told yes. I downloaded Fusion 360 then but never really got into it as the necessity to master it wasn't really there. In the intervening years, it has become more restrictive and the urge to master it has become even smaller. However, if there is no alternative, it is a good choice, IMO. There is always a threat of AutoDesk going back on their word but the advantages that it offers outweigh the possibility that it will not be available in the future.

Back